Is hair loss normal??

I am a new mom of my first, a 3month old boy. About 3 weeks ago I noticed my hair was falling out. It has not stopped and seems like it is more than normal. Im still breastfeeding and read that it some hair loss can be common, i just wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing this... I can run my fingers through my hair and pull out 10 strands of hair at once.. seems like ALOT! If this is normal, when does it stop?

sarlynne

Asked by sarlynne at 9:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh my, YES! I remember losing SOOO much hair! It is so very normal!

Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• Very Normal. It continued for me for about 6-9 mos. It will get better. You don't lose much hair while you are pregnant so you lose it all right after they are born.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yes it's normal, perfectly fine, someone should warn you about it though. lol.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Oh yeah...no one told me that hair loss was normal with my first baby so there I was at 23 years old waking up one morning to what seemed like TONS of hair all over my pillow. And in the shower, and on my brush. I was mortified! But yes...you ladies have cafemom now where you don't have to rely on your mother in law's old wives tales! LOL! IF it doesn't go back to normal by the time baby is a year or so old, get checked out for hormone imbalances and/or iron deficiency. My youngest is 5, I'm almost 34 and I started losing hair for real (like thinning hair...and A LOT in the shower) about a year ago. Turns out I'm severely anemic. Goody, goody. We're working on correcting that. I pray my hair will be lush and beautiful again! :)
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 10:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yep, I had no idea how bad it would be though!! It will stop eventually though....
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Lord yes. I was shedding like a golden retriever after all 5 of my deliveries. It will pass. If it dosen't, have your thyroid levels tested.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009