Have you ever had or known someone with colon cancer? What were the first symptoms you noticed, or they noticed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Health

• The first sign is blood in your stool or in the toilet water. A Specialist - Gastroenterologist will order a colonoscopy  to scope the colon, take samples to determine if there is a tumor. If you have had any blood you need to see your Physician right away.  Also, if you have nausea.  There is a Flexsigmoidoscopy that can be done where the camera looks at the sigmoid and the colonoscopy views the whole upper and lower part of the colon.   The colon is done at a hospital or out patient center and the flexsig is done at the Specialists office.  Sedation is ordered for both test and prep is done prior to both tests. Your Specialist will determine which tests should be done.

delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 10:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have not had blood, just a lot of pain. I don't have a blockage. My stool is soft, just have to strain to get it out. I am in severe pain. Doctors did a CAT scan, nothing abnormal showed.
    Anonymous

• Then you need to go in for more extensive testing. I would suggest a colonoscopy. You could have diverticulitis or ulcerative colitis. Pain is the first signs that something is not right. If your doctor refuses to do more tests, find a new doctor.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My dad died a 35 from colon caner he had bloody stools
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Trust your gut. Write down all symptoms to discuss with your doctor. Demand the tests. It is your right.

I am going to the docs to check that general area, too. I am only 25, but I have symptoms of colon cancer. I have some growth on the exterior butthole. I always have BAD gasroidis pains & have blood on the toilet paper. m stool is loosed and narrow. I was diagnosed with HPV 3 yrs ago. I had high grade dysplasia(cancer cells) on my cervix. I got that taken care of, but now I think it spread to the anus.
    DOnt let anyone tell you thaT THE RISKS ARE TOO LOW...THERE IS ALWAYS THAT ONE IN A THOUSAND. Good luck, my dear!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I was diagnosed with colon cancer a few months ago, and at the time, I didn't think I had any symptoms. It was found after a routine colonoscopy. My mom had colon cancer in her 50s, so I went for a colonoscopy every 5 years.

After being diagnosed, I found out that ANY change in bowel habits can be a symptom. The ONLY symptom that I had was that I had a BM twice a day for a while, instead of my usual once a day. No blood, no pain, NOTHING else. And I have stage 3 cancer (i.e. the surgery wasn't enough - I'm on chemo now).

So, I'd suggest that you get the colonoscopy if there's even a possibility you need it. The earlier they catch it, the more treatable it is. I'm so thankful that I need to get routine colonoscopies, because otherwise, I don't know how much worse it could've been, if I waited for the blood/pain symptoms. So, please get one, if you think you might need it.
    Anonymous