I am having mixed thoughts about stopping breastfeeding, how do you wean after nine months when child is still into it?

I exclusively breastfed for 6 months and than did formula once or twice a week when in public because he was too distracted to public breastfeed and didn't want to waste breastmilk if he didn't want it from bottle. He goes to bed at 6:30 pm and I don't breastfeed him till 6am. I pump around 7pm and 9pm but only get 2-3ounces of breastmilk, to use for daycare the next day. I would love to stop this night pumping and just breastfeed during day 3-4 times. I am afraid of rapid decline of milk, because I'm not sure if I want to stop completely yet, but would love to go to bed early. I was going to try to breastfeed for a year but I am sick of the pump expecially at end of day. I pump twice at work but still only get 5 ounces total a day. My baby eats alot of solids and can finish a stage 3 jar of baby food at one meal at times. I don't know what to do, I was hoping he would self-wean, but lately has gotten more interested.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would give formula at daycare and then breastfeed when he is home. I would quit the pumping all together. You are still breastfeeding and your supply should not plummet because you are an established breastfeeder.I would just have the daycare people not fill him up towards the end of the day because you want him to nurse in the evening.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I stopped pumping at work at 9 months... I still did pump once/day (after work because I work evenings and he wasn't awake to nurse when I got home) it didn't have any impact on my supply... your body will adjust.
    I would cut out the pumping slowly though to give you body a chance to adjust to it.... If it were me I would get rid of the 7pm puming first... a few days later get rid of one of the work pumpings. I would wait a few more days and get rid of the other work one (but bring your pump incase you get engorged and need to pump) And then breastfeed him well before bed and then you can cut out the last night pumping. It might take a couple of weeks... but going slow will help you not get engorged.
    Then I would just send along the breast milk you do have and use formula the rest of the time for daycare.
    Breastfeeding at home 3-4 times should be just fine
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My daughter is 10 months old and I still want to breast feed as much as possible but with the hell i went through getting her this far on breast milk i'm sick of pumping too. I rarely do it. She's drank a lot more formula now. You can stop pumping at work and feed when you get home, if he's already on solids like that then your at the point where the milk is getting less important in his diet. Your milk will decrease, very quickly but if you continue to feed on a schedule thats good for you then your body will adjust to it, you'll just have quicker feeding times and you'll supply less oz. but you'll still be able to do it.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2009