~Are you the only child?~

I have a sister and a brother but I only have one daughter. Ive been contemplating about her being the only child and I would love to have another one but I dont want to go through the labor or the morning sickness and the expense of daycare etc, etc...... So if you are the only child did you ever wish you had siblings or are you okay with being the only child???

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My sister was ten years older than me so we were never close and had nothing in common. I liked being my dad's only child (my sister had another dad). I was a spoiled brat but I'm better now....a little bit better! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 10:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I was the only child for 10 years and I hated it, I used to beg my mother for a sister, then I finally got one, and then another. We weren't close when we were young due to the age difference, but now that we're all grown I am sooo glad I have them.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• One sister and I am 4 years older.

I want more kids but I am terrified that he or she will be a challenge like this one. He has made me cry on a lot of days because he is so stubborn and he is colicky and wants to be held all the time to where some days its hard to go to the bathroom.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The whole "only child" stigma is so overrated. A lot of it has to do with the parents and the child's personalities. If the parents are attentive and loving, yet disciplined and consistent, there's no reason the child can't grow up and be happy and well-adjusted. I have one older brother, but he's eight years older than me. I grew up practically as an only child. I had a wild imagination, so I wasn't that lonely. Sure, I sometimes wished for a sibling, but it wasn't a hardcore obsession or anything. Then again, my parents divorced when I was 5, so I never had a really stable home life.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I'm an only child. I especially wish I had a sister or brother now simply for the closeness and bond. I wish I had someone to always go to that wasn't just a friend or husband. I totally wish my parents had tried at least one more time. I want 4 kids because of them! :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I am not an only child but I am a mother/sisiter/aunt. And know when I had my first child I felt the way you did about having another baby after my first one. When and if you are ready for a second child will be the right time, dont stress thinking your child will be alone. You can do many things for daughter, play grounds to make friends, play dates with freinds with have kids. Trust me when she get older she will have things and friends and having a sister or brother is missed but life works out being the only child.
    Anonymous

• I'm an only child and I had always wished for a brother or sister. It would've been nice growing up in my teeny tiny hometown that had maybe a handful of kids even close to my age if I had had a sibling to play with and bond with. And no it's not because of the parents my parents did an awesome job....well at least my mom did and I still would've loved to have had a sibling. I refuse to only have one child because I don't want my DS to have to be the only child and wind up resenting it in the long run.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Technically I have 8 siblings that I know of. But I only ever lived with 1 of them. I hated having a sister, and we were never close. We still aren't. We talk once every few months or so and would both have been perfectly happy to have been an only child. Personally, I think only children have it MUCH better!

**My mother was married 3 times and ALL her husbands have kids with other women. My Dad was also married and had other children. So between half and step siblings there are 8 that I know of.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I love having my younger sister. She is 2 1/2 years younger than me and we have always been close. Yes, we've had our fights but who hasn't? My older sister who is 15 years older than me is a different story. I don't hate her but we just don't agree on anything. I don't and never really have connected with her in a way I have my younger sister.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I'm an only child. It has it's pros and cons. I really don't remember wanting a sibling growing up- at least not that much. I was close to my cousins. I have a lifelong best friend. In that sense I guess I found 'surrogate siblings.' If your child is an only, I would recommend trying to cultivate these kinds of relationships. I'm beyond thankful for my cousins... I would be a much lonelier adult if I didn't have them.

The biggest downside I see is that, as my parents get older, it will all fall on me. My mom is also an only... when her mom and dad died it was a very hard time for her, and she had a LOT to do in practical terms as well. My dad is one of four- his mom just passed away earlier this month and the family has all come together to support each other, help clear out the house, etc. When my parents go, I won't have any of that support- it will be me, my dh, and my kids and that's it. I dread that!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009