Would you allow your teenage or adult child to smoke marijuana at home?

One of my friends' moms lets her and her two brothers get high as a kite in their bedrooms. I'm not sure where I stand on the whole debate--so I'm going to remain neutral. What's your opinion of it?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Heck no! I was taught not to do drugs, my kid will be taught as well. I Know my Cousins Mom lets her smoke pot, but my uncle doesnt know. If he did he would probably kill his wife!
    Anonymous

• depends on how else they conduct their life probably. depends on their age, do they do good in school, do they have a job, are they motivated, then probably. if theyre lazy unmotivated not doing good in school or dont have a job, no.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Adult yes, if they pay their bills and are using it for medicinal purposes. Child no.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Not in my house. If my adult children want to be morons they can do it elsewhere. My teenagers would be on lock down if I caught them using drugs. I would feel like a failure if my children used drugs. Only weak minded losers use them and I hope to God I am raising my kids better than that.
    Anonymous

so you can fry your brain cells only if youre doing well in school or have a great job, so allowing drugs in your kid's system is a reward for them doing well? that makes no sense to me. For me, its a no. No illegal drugs in my home. I will break his fingers first.
    Anonymous

• Older teen or adult, if they were mature and had their shit together, yeah. Marijuana doesn't fry your brain cells. If they're going to do anything, I'd rather it be pot than anything else. I drink and I'd rather they did pot than got drunk all the time. It's safer.
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 10:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• HECK NO!! No one will ever smoke anything in my house especially my children!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yes. Just as I would let them drink at home. I look at it this way, I got high on a regular basis as a teen and younger, I drank anything I could. And my mother NEVER would have been okay with it. So, instead I hid it. I snuck out and she never knew. Did her rules stop me? No. By allowing a child the freedom to do these things at home you do two things 1.) you lessen the want for the activity because many teens are simply doing these things to rebel. If you allow it how can they rebel with it? 2.) You have taken minor control. Every time a child drinks or gets high - or takes an aspirin for that matter - something can go wrong. So, by knowing where they are and what they are doing, you reduce the chance that something serious will happen. You are there should something happen to get them help.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Forbiding such behavior has NEVER stopped it. All it does is put them in MORE danger. It puts them in danger because they are now forced to hide it from you, which means if something goes wrong or they end up sick, you don't have all the right information when you need it most. And because it's usually going to mean that they are doing it in unsafe places - such as a car.

By giving your kids a safe and semi-controlled place to do these things you are taking control and keeping your kids safe. I will allow weed and alcohol in my home by MY teens under the condition that they do NOT leave my house while under the influence and that they ONLY use at home or when I know (like if they are staying the night at a friends and NOT leaving). I also don't want them to hide it because I know how deadly that can be first hand. Should something happen and they need meds, I need to know what is in their system, or it could kill them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The problem is that this is illegal behavior. Everyone involved to go to jail. And if she has minors in the home, she could lose her kids. Allowing your kid to break the law in front of you doesn't protect them. It puts your whole family at risk. Those are just the laws in this country.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2009