How do I know when my newborn is full

I am a first time mom breatfeeding and my baby is one week old. She stops eating sometimes and will not latch back on but 5 min later she wants to feed again. Any suggestions?

nettapooh2009

Asked by nettapooh2009 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nurse her! Newborns want to nurse all the time. If she is satisfied she might sleep on and off. As long as you are getting at least 6 wet diapers she will be fine. Nursing on demand is awesome, she is HELPING you get your milk in, and as she "demands" , your supply will follow. So just relax, nurse her and don't worry about anything else but you and her for now. The house work can wait for you. PM me if you need anything, I suppose I am on the look out, I just weaned my 14 month old baby boy and I suppose I would love to help someone since I had such a blast nursing my boy!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Agree with PP
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• At this point they're just figuring stuff out. Sadly for you that means your a 24/7 fridge. Whenever they want it. It'll help keep your milk supply getting started so thats some good news. There is no way a new born can over eat so don't worry about that. Just enjoy the time you get to spend together. Good luck and congrats on the new baby
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Congrats on your new baby! Like all these other ladies have said newborns need to nurse constantly. It's important that you listen to her & feed her when she asks! It will level out before long & you will have longer breaks between nursing. You should join a breastfeeding group here on CM so that you can have all the support you need. It's not as easy nursing as some people think & having loads of supportive women around you makes a HUGE difference.
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 10:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2009