Wood addicted son....

My son is 11.5 months old and he loves to chew on wood, like a beaver! He gnaws on his crib, a wicker toychest, my end tables, wooden puzzle pieces...anything that's wood. Is this just a strange phase he's going through or is he lacking some kind of nurishment and his body is trying to get it through the wood?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uhh does he have his teeth yet? Maybe it feels good on his gums..I don't know about nourishment from wood and I also don't know of any other kids going wood crazy lol And yes very strange. The teething thing is all I can think about if he's not teething I would just ask doctor.
    Anonymous

• Probably feels good on his teeth, gums etc.. Unless he is constantly eating weird non food things then I would not worry.

I would get him some natural teething toys. Companies like Haba make some that are safe ( lead free paint etc..)

I ordered from this site once www.oompa.com

Oh and plan toys, another company also makes safe wood toys. I would buy him a few rings, cars etc...Even Etsy has natural wood rings.

This way you know he is not chewing on something toxic.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• lol this reminds me of my Aunt (3 years older than me). Her nick name growing up was "beaver baby" because every picture we have of her in her crib has her chewing on the rails. She turned out just fine though. If you are concerend I would talk to your doctor.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• He currently has 8 teeth. 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. I just can't get over the amount of wood he's chewed off his crib. Like not just on the rail, he's chewed on the top curved part and now he's cocking his head to the side and chopping on the slats. I'm just afraid that he's gonna get splinters in his belly and it's going to cause problems. He goes to the doctor in a week. I don't know what to do, I can't get rid of everything that's wood in the house! Haha.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My son does that. He started around 11 months and is now 19 months. We tied blankets to the crib where he was chewing. I was afraid he would choke on the wood. It's the strangest thing. I haven't met many others who have this problem.
    Anonymous

• Seriously we'd have blankets all over! Hahaha. Did you talk to your doctor about it? If so, what did they say?
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My sons doctor said to sew blankets all over the wood part. He chews the worst when he is teething, but it's not limited to that time. He has such a pretty crib and it looks crazy now on the sides. This is my first child, I think he likes to throw me as many curve balls as he can :).
    Anonymous

• Do we have the same son!? His crib is completely ruined. It was such a happy day when I picked it out at the store and the day my husband put it together I cried (my first child too)........and now, it's ruined. ::sigh:: My son if throwing me curve balls too.

Good luck to you and your little beaver!
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2009