Can breastfeeding affect a pregnancy test?

I have been EBF for 6mo. now and for the last 2mo. I have been having pregnancy symptoms. No I have yet to have a period, and with my first I didn't get one till we stopped Breastfeeding so I haven't been expecting one. My symptoms have been becoming more intense, I have taken like 9 home test and either they didn't work (like the control bar didn't even show) or they where negative.
So my question is Can Breastfeeding affect a pregnancy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, breastfeeding doesn't affect pregnancy hormones and will not affect a pregnancy test. I've gotten two BFPs while nursing. Sometimes hormonal symptoms while bf'ing could be your body trying to gear up for ovulation if you haven't resumed cycles yet. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• There are totally different hormones involved in the two, and they don't affect each other. Hcg will be present, or it won't. If you want to, you can go get a lab test, but it won't show up much sooner than a home test would if you are in fact pregnant.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2009