How high should a 3-4yr old count?

I know they should know ATLEASTE to count to 10...
But at what number should a 3-4yo *STOP* at?
How high until you think it could just be too much / overwhelming / silly for a child to count to...
My dd (3) knows how to count to 10. Im about to start teaching her to 20. But I know she will catch on QUICK..What # should I stop & say OK thats enough?! We learn through fun (no sitting down w/flashcards) & I try to teach whats ONLY reasonable for her age (i know parents who teach their kids states/presidents/continents at this age).. So what # is reasonable for a 3-4yr old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does the child actually know one-to-one correspondence? meaning, she can point to the object and say "one" then move to the next object and say "two" etc etc.
    Reciting 1 2 3 3 4 5 etc. is not actually counting. it's memorizing an order. just like the ABC song does NOT mean they actually know what the alphabet is or the recognition of letters. it just means they know a song.

If she has one-to-one correspondence then, go ahead and move right along to 20. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My 4 year old boy can count to 12, but he is Autistic. When my oldest (15 now) was that age, she was able to count to 20 at age 4.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My youngest turned 4 in August, by last spring he was to 15, by his 4th bday he was to 20...and he can go to 100 if i help him write 2-10 down the side of a paper.....once you hit 20 everything gets easy. But then again he has 3 older brothers that are always doing homework and counting. I remember last year my 3rd son started kindergarten and in the first week he came home with a "report card" saying what numbers he missed counting up to 100, what colors he didn't know, what shapes, what letters/etc......i was stunned....i thought you learned all that in kindergarten!
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 11:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My four year old counts to 29. She can get to 100 if you spot her the 30, 40... She could do that for awhile before she learned to count objects (like OutStandingLove said). She can spell any word that is spelled in a song she knows and says the letters that she sees. This makes it so she can read the word stop (in books as well as stop signs) as well as some others. That said her big sis is in the gifted program & she is forever teaching her little sis stuff. I would say as long as your little one enjoys counting teach them until they're bored!
    ASunny

Answer by ASunny at 12:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My son can count to 100, but I've been working with him on it. He just turned 4. Now we're working on recognizing all the numbers. He can add and subtract small numbers. I found this site online called ixl which practices math concepts from preschool through 6th grade and he really enjoys it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Why stop if your child gets it easily? It's not the same as making them memorize tons of information they don't understand, like states/presidents/continents. If she understands it and is enjoying the practice you might as well just keep going. If she gets bored or doesn't understand it then it's far enough and time to quit for now. In my opinion at least.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• In pre-k (4-5) my son was learning to count to 100. He would miss few or reverse a few but he could do it. I would let her learn as much as she is willing and ready for. There is no magic number that she needs to reach or stop at.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My 4 year old can count to 29 with no help. If I say 30 then he'll count to 39 and if I say 40 he'll count to 49 etc. He loves getting to 100, but that's with me helping him out after 29.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• There's a huge difference between number recognition and counting. Does she recognize her numbers (same goes for letters, by the way)? In preschool they learn to recognize all the letters and numbers to 10 (start with zero, too many parents forget about 0)

There is no point where you should make her stop. My older 3 year old can count to 200, but he only recognizes the numbers up to 100.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I let my 4yr old count as high as he can get. Which right now is 15. If he wants to keep going then I help him keep going. I wouldn't stop it.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 1:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2009