Do you know what XMAS really means?

I have always used the term xmas. Not because I am not religious, just because it was easier to type (also I dated a guy name Chris and had a very rough break up...i didn't want to say his name...corny I know).

I was always told that I was taking "Christ" out of Christmas.....BUT after reading about it, I found out why it is OKAY to say XMAS....

X, the Greek letter Chi, is the first letter of the word, Christos meaning Christ.
AND
The X in Xmas stands for Christ. The X is a form of the Cross which is a symbol of Christ. That is why it is not Cmass.

Did you know that?

54313MomOf4Boys

Asked by 54313MomOf4Boys at 11:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Holidays

• Yeah, I learned something about this a while ago. That's why it's ok to say and write XMAS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I didn't know this until another CM, TheHairNazi, informed us in a response to a post. I'd always wondered.....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• bump
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yeah I was told when I was young it was not only taking Christ out of Christmas but also crossing him off. I've never used it.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I learned that from my daughters when they went to school. they're in catholic school.

but I always hated it because my name is Christine, and it would be like calling me X.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yeah, I learned that in church actually.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I did. thanks.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I didnt know that but it doesnt matter to me. I do not celebrate XMAS or christmas.
    Anonymous

• I don't know XMAS, I know CHRISTMAS!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2009