For those who believe a woman should stay home and take care of the home, kids and her husband: Do you think women should even go to college or pursue careers?

There are many that think that the man should be the provider and that the woman should stay home, take care of the house, her husband, and the kids. Some would argue that these ideas about specific roles in life between a husband and wife are biblically based. So, if that is a woman's goal and purpose in life, should she even bother getting an education beyond high school or pursuing a career? What's the point of spending money on a college education if you are not going to use it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• First off,this question is kind of an oxymoron. Also, so what if sahm wants to educate herself! Anyone should be allowed to do that no matter what life they choose. Worry about yourself instead of assuming why others make the choices in theirs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• OMG...I'm a SAHM but I do plan on going back into the work force so I gues this doesn't really apply to me since I'm in school now and planning on working again BUT...I'm going to answer anyways. A women SHOULD get an education if she desires one. It never, never hurts to get one. Especially if the marriage doesn't work out. Don't let a man leave you falt on your butt because he was running things. Know how to survive on your own!!!! If it comes to that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Wow. I didn't know the question would be offensive. I was purely curious. I guess what you are saying is, that even if someone plans to be a stay at home mom, she could go ahead and pursue college and a career anyway even if she won't use her degree. Ok. Just looking to see what people thought. Totally not trying to offend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I agree that education is never a bad thing to have. I graduated from university and am a SAHM right now because I choose to be. I'm considering going back to school so that when I return to the workforce I can do so in a different field. I'm not at home because I believe I 'should' be though... I'm home because I want to spend that time with my kids while they are young and luckily we are able to afford it for a few years. I do think that when my kids are all school-age I will very likely return to some kind of paid employment and then education will come in handy!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I'm a sahm not by choice by circumstance. I have the uppermost respect for sahm who want to do it. I think it's a hell of a lot than working. With a lot less appreciation. It's just not for me I hate being homw bound. Once my kids get in school I'm going to college for degree in psych and law. Then I will pursue a career in criminal psychology/profiling. I do not believe what you are describing is the way it has to be, but I respect those who chose to do it , and sympathize with those who have no choice. I also think those who believe it is unspeakable and pathetic should try it, and learn some damn respect!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yes, being a stay at home mom is a lot of work! I agree! It's way harder than working outside of the home. I totally respect those who do that b/c not only do you have to take care of the kids, you have to cook, clean, run errands AND take care of a husband. Very hard. (Written by the original poster...still anonymous...)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I'm a sAHM by choice. I had a career (chef) then got married and had kids. I knew I'd be staying home to take care f the family and the home. its not my JOB its my choice. I do not see it as keeping myself uneducated or chained to the house. I run a business in my free time.

I plan on working once the kids are in school full time. I'm also planning on attending school to earn a business degree (enough to run dh's business office from home when we take it over in a year) - or whatever I need to see that through.

I plan on getting a Home Economics degree, and then becoming a pediatric dietician.

It wasn't until I started joining sites and groups for moms did I realize how 'unacceptable' it was to take joy in raising the kids, keeping the husband clean and fed, the house clean. I grew up that way, my mom did and that was how I figured I would when I had kids eventually.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Times today are diferent then, if life gives you changes you always want to be prepared for it. I'm a stay at home mom and I finished a technical school and also became a dental assistant.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• if it is affordable for the woman to go to college and she wants to then she should - any given day people die suddenly - so that education might unexpectedly come in handy. also its a great way for SAHMs to get out of the house and challenge her mind and be with other adults.
    ROBIN-C

Answer by ROBIN-C at 12:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I grew up knowing that I wanted to be a SAHM, and that MY best role was in the home taking care of the family. However, I still have a BA. I didn't marry until I was past 30, and worked for 15 years before our children came along. So yes, even though I believe the best for our family is for me to be home, I have an education, and I know how to use it! Even since being a SAHM, I've gone on to get other certificates and further education so that if/when I choose to go back to work (after the kids are much older), I have more options.

Women need and deserve an education. Even if you don't believe divorce is an option (as we don't), what if the husband dies? What if he becomes disabled such that he can't work? Just because I don't anticipate ever being required to enter the workforce again doesn't mean I shouldn't be prepared to do so if needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2009