How many Stay At Home Dads are there in the families?

Just reading another posting and was wondering how many women out there are the main "bread winners" while the fathers take care of the house and kids?

Also, how/why did this happen? Is it working? what would you change?

personally, my hubby and I agree that if I find a job and able to bring home as much as he does (which isn't a lot), then he would GLADLY stay home with the kids...I am SOOOO looking forward to that day!

54313MomOf4Boys

Asked by 54313MomOf4Boys at 12:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know several SAHD's. Most of them seem happy and their family is doing just fine. The only one that, from what we've seen, has problems would have them (again, just based on what we've seen, knowing them and their kids), whether it was the mom, dad, or neither that was staying home with the kids. (Their kids are brats, and neither parent makes any effort to teach them anything, and has griped about "not knowing what to to about their kids" or how "it's just so hard to deal with them..." - btw - their kids were older elem. age when we met them...)

But for the most part, they seem to be doing just as well as the families with SAHM's. If a family can afford it, and they want it, and one parent has the personality to deal with being a SAHP (because just like anything else, there's an up and a down side to it), then more power to them - regardless of gender.

gl to you both :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I know a few.

if I could find a high enough paying job then he'd be home in a heartbeat. but alas....I couldn't find anything that would be able to support the family.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• ya my brother inlaw is a stay at home dad, plus i have atleast 4 freind that are stay at home dads..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My husband and my brother-in-law both have been stay at home Dad's! My husband and I both work out of our home since our daughter was born. My bro-in-law has stayed at home with all 3 of their boys!!
    jewelrylady98

Answer by jewelrylady98 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I've been working at home for over a year and I've been able to find some successful jobs working at home as an independent contractor, I got some information through this site and I've gotten a lot of help try visiting the site and give them a try, they may be able to help you out if your trying to build your own business, I know they've help me. :)
    http://www.wahmjobfinder.com/livelonger
    WAHMLivingHappy

Answer by WAHMLivingHappy at 11:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009