Is getting a paternity test safe before you have the baby if you have had a miscarriage history?

I would like a paternity test done to prove to this guy the baby is his.
However if it was to pose a risk to my health or babies in anyway,should i wait?
Please let me know your thoughts over this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• To do a paternity test prior to the birth you would need to go through amniocentisis- where a needle is inserted through the abdomen, through the uterus, into the amniotic sac, where it withdraws a small amount of amniotic fluid for genetic analysis. Generally this is a relatively safe procedure, but it does carry some risks, up to and including m/c. You would need to weigh the pros and cons to see whether you feel the benefits outweigh the risks. Personally, I would not take the risk for something that is not a medical necessity, but that's just me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i'd take it after the baby is born.
    i did a paternity test when my daughter was 2 months old. it didnt make the guy act any better than he did while i was pregnant. after you prove to him that he's the father, he's not going to magically start helping you (because a decent guy would support you knowing there's a possibility you're carrying his child, THEN get the dna test). anyways, maybe my advice doesnt apply to your situation and that's fine, but hey, i have a lot of experience with loser baby daddy's, so i can help you in that area..lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I echo the first response. In my pregnancy, I just avoided unnecessary procedures. Miscarriage is a known risk of amniocentesis. I would wait. Cotton swab in the mouth of a baby is much less invasive.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• its rare to find a doc who will agree to do it for that purpose. its just not worth the risk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2009