Drug Testing at birth?

Hello, I have a friend who is 2 weeks ahead of me in her pregnancy, she has smoked marijuana throughout the pregnancy to help her relax and feel comfortable. She is so stressed that if there is thc in her body or the babys body what will they say? Do the hospitals drug test every mother & baby or is it only for suspicion?

isabella1218

Asked by isabella1218 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think that depends on the hospital and the state.
    we live in California and my oldest sister was tested without suspicion. She tested positive for THC and CPS almost took her baby from her.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• oh.
    but then my cousin's baby tested positive for meth and THC (she was suspected though) and CPS didn't attempt to remove the child until AFTER my cousin tried to commit suicide.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Maybe your friend should of thought of this before she smoked pot while pregnant. She better stock up on the weed because if CPS takes her baby away she is going to need it to, how did you put it, "relax and feel comfortable".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• ALL HOSPITALS TEST MOTHERS AND BABIES. The wont tell you, but they do it when they do take blood samples when the mother is admitted and when the baby is born. Trust me I know because pretty much my family works in the health care field.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• anon 27 ...
    that's just one more reason for me to give birth at home.
    i don't do drugs but i'll be DAMNED if some medical professional who WORKS FOR ME is going to do ANYTHING to me or my child without my consent.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It dependes on the town or district. They will only take the child away it there are medical issues, and drugs test positive.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Not all hospitals test mothers and babies. My son and I have been medical lab techs in Indiana and they didn't do it there. My son has also worked in AZ and they don't do it here. There would be payment and other issues involved.

I can't see it happening as long as it's not against the law to smoke or drink during pregnancy. We know smoking durning pregnancy is worse for the baby than cocaine. Drinking can cause birth defects.

In Indiana more than 25% of pregnant women admit smoking during pregnancy. You can't take all those babies away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• She's good if shes at Christiana.
    .mega.mama.

Answer by .mega.mama. at 2:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2009