Potty training

Ok so we started potty training pretty early around 14/15 months because evertime DS had a diaper change he would get up and watch himself pee. So i said why not get him a potty. So every morning we put him on it to pee and he was doing great. Summertime came and he basically ran around bottomless and used the potty but would ask for his diaper to poop. He did poop on the potty as well though just not regularly. Well, i was pretty non chalant about it because he was young and I'm home all day with him. Well, now he is 21 months old and I realize I have to step up the consistancy. No problem. He wears NO diaper during the day now...the problem is this...he can't pull his pants down by himself, he has a bubble butt and as coordinated as he is he just can't or isn't doing it. So what he is doing is peeing on the potty THROUGH his pants...arrgh. And, it doesn't bother him like I would think after. Is this normal? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait a year. It's too hard for a child that young to deal with clothes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You should teach him how to pull his underwear off. teach him to pull it down from the back instead of the sides.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Gaillll
    my son was fully toilet learned by about 26 months. They just need to be taught.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Wow that was quick. This Q and A section is pretty cool...lol. Yeah I was thinking that might be the case. It's just that I feel we have made so much "natural" progress I would feel weird giving up. Do I just leave him in diapers all the time? Wouldn't that confuse him even more?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Make up a song and dance about pulling his pants down to go potty..also maybe finding easier pants. I find shopping for baby clothes easier online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• do not leave him in diapers. TEACH him how to pull of his underwear. it takes practice and patients. just like all other things in life.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• LOl...yes of course I have tried to teach him to pull his undies/ pants off properly but he just doesn't seem to care or get it. He is a big boy not fat but lean but he has Daddy's tush...a bubble butt and for some reason when he tries to pull them down it's just not working. Not trying to sound like I'm bragging but that in itself is weird because he has always been a pretty "fast" learner. IDK when he was bottomless it was fine because he "gets" the concept of the potty, just not the pants in the way part...lol. Thanks for all your answers very much appreciated ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yes yes I have patience and I am trying to teach him he just doesn't seem to either care or grasp that one concept of pulling them off from behind. He can mostly dress himself it's the undressing part that is the problem. But I will keep trying and I will try to incorporate a little song and dance ( we have plenty of those...lol) and see if that works. Maybe I am just used to him "getting" things rather quickly and I have gotten "spoiled". Maybe, but I have tried for a couple weeks now...but, I will keep at it. And I will keep you posted. Thanks ladies I'm really glad I found this Q and A section!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• keep trying to teach him. Even after my son was fully toilet learned i still had to help him with his pants. It's those darned fine motor skills.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Oh and I forgot to add ...about the pants he wears...i bought him "bigger" undies so they would be easier to take off because he has a little waist and they were so fitted around the waist are and to pull them over his tush easier...didn't help and he only wears elastic waistbands in the house. Also, just curious when we do finally get over this one what do I do when we go out? I am totally freaked by the thought of him using the public restrooms. What did you guys do? any suggestions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2009