Breastfeeding...does this happen to you?

When DS (21mo) BF's he has to have my shirt completely up and he has to "play" with the other nipple. Thank goodness I have really insensitive breasts but when we are in public, not so often, it's really hard to nurse him because he also hates his face covered. I manage to work around it just wondering if you have experienced this? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes but I can't stand it. It irritates me to no end!! I always have to have my other breast covered to make sure she doesn't do this. If he's used to he will probably throw a fit at first but once he realizes you aren't going to change your mind he should get used to it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• A toddler is old enough to understand that they can't mess around if they want to nurse. It is irritating.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yes my children did this, the touching is just a comfort reflex, most breastfed babies love skin to skin contact even when not feeding, even now my 5 y/o will touch my neck when she is upset and i am holding her to comfrot her.

Most babies hate being covered and that never helps in public lol I remember all too well how many times i had to fight to keep myself covered. One trick i used was to wear a baggy sweat shirt in the winter and a lighter baggy pull over in the warmer months. Even one with a zipper worked out well, this way I was fully covered and baby had plenty of room to keep my shirt out of the way without showing the world my chest and their faces were not covered.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If its that awkward or irritating maybe its time to stop breast feeding. By this point they're old enough for all solids.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Rather it's time to stop BF isn't for you to say, (i think that's very rude for you to say) and just because something is irritating, difficult, or not easy doesn't mean you should stop. Maybe she's delaying solids for health reasons, you have no idea what her situation is.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• What about giving him something else to play with? Feeling a pacifier or a bottle nipple might feel the same to him and give him the comfort he needs while BFing...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Like many other moms said it's something most nursing toddlers do. It drove me nuts. I helped my dd pick out a special "lovie" the she could fiddle around with while she nursed. She self weaned earlier this year, but she still loves her special lovie & keeps it close by. It doesn't work for all kids, but it may be worth a shot. I know many moms that made the rule, nursing only at home, because their toddler compromised their modesty too much in public. If it really bothers you & you feel very uncomfortable then maybe you should consider this rule. But be warned, when you start limiting feedings it can lead to self weaning. Good luck to you & don't worry, all kids do this!
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 10:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about it, my almost three yr old son still loves my boobies lol. I nursed him till he was only 13 months because thats when he self weened due to being really active. But it is a comfort thing so if it doesnt bother you then I personally would just let it go. I know its kind of weired but there babys in my eyes and when my son touches my boobs I just tell him what there called and that only girls have them so I kind of make it a learning exparience for him too lol. Enjoy nursin, I miss it soooo much its a wonderful way to bond with baby. I my self will be doing it again very soon. GL
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• yes it happens to me too. he always wants to raise my shirt up while nursing and to let me know he's hungry, he runs up to me and just yanks it up. and yes he plays too.
    kristina_1988

Answer by kristina_1988 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It doesn't "bother" me. I LOVE nursing!! DS has never been sick and I attribute that greatly to being able to still nurse him. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this. As far as solids he is a great eater as well. But, he is definately Mommies booby monster!! Also for me I don't thave sensitive boobs but I can imagine if a BF'ing Mommy did it could get irritating/annoying. We usually don't nurse in public he's pretty good like that. But we went to the movies and that's when I encountered this so luckily I was able to do it pretty ok. But it got me thinking if anyone else experiences this.
    Anonymous