Induction

I was just wondering how induction has gone for other moms. This is my first baby and I will be induced on monday. My doctor said he will be starting with putting some sort of tablet on my cervix to help me dilate and they will put in a new one every four hours. That makes me think this will take a very long time. How long were your inductions?

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 2:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was never induced but from what family and friends went through I know that it differs from person to person. I havent heard of putting a tablet down below but since this is your first baby it could take a long time. When I had my first child I was only in full active labor for 8 1/2 hours. So mine wasnt long at all. Good luck on Monday!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i hope that you do lots of research about inductions before you go to do that. They can be very dangerous. And unless you are past 42 weeks there is USUALLY no medical reason to induce. And even if there is, i still hope you do your research.

The thing you are talking about is called cytotec and is "Not approved by FDA for labor induction; few scientific trials have been done to establish effective dosage, effectiveness, and safety for mother and baby."

http://transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/parented/pregnancy/induction.htm

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• They started my induction around 9pm on Thursday night. I pretty much slept through the entire night, then started having contractions on Friday morning. I had an epidural shortly afterward and didn't feel a thing for the rest of the labor. Then my daughter was born at 3:17 that afternoon.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• The doctor put the pill on my cervix at 7pm. I went to sleep and slept through the night, had a few twinges of contractions around 5am. The doc started the IV at 8am. I went into labor and progressed pretty slow, but had my son at 10pm without any trouble.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 2:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• OP here- Wow I had no idea that this was a bad thing to use. I just figure that the doctors know what they are doing. Now I am scared. I will be 41 weeks and am being induced because my baby is already so big and he is concerned about me not being able to deliver vaginally if she gets much bigger. Now I wish I had another doctors visit before I go to the hospital.
    xredstarsx

Answer by xredstarsx at 2:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I was induced because of low amniotic fluid and was only in labor for 7hrs. It went completely fine; don't worry about it. Everyone takes it differently a friend of mine was induced and didn't have the baby til the next day.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Also, my friend who didn't have the baby until the next day (she was two weeks over due) had a big baby and was bleeding because of it so much that they had to give her medicine to stop it. Her doctor said that when she has another baby that they would have to induce sooner because he didn't think her body (frame)could handle it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If you are very concerned about the cytotec, you can talk to your doctor about a Prostaglandin suppositories. It's inserted like a tampon. It's what was used in my induction and I haven't found anything online about issues like the cytotec.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i was induced with both of my pregnancies. the last one. was so simple. they started at 6 am. water broke at like 12ish? had baby by 5:42. so it wasnt bad at all.. dnt stress it. they will take care of u. and just think. now u wont have to go thru the "oh my god" stage. its a done deal. just pray prior and relax. and get ready to meet ur new addition!
    mj.mania

Answer by mj.mania at 2:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2009