• In the Spotlight:

sleeping...

my four month old had started sleeping through the night for almost a month. now, all of a sudden he has started eating every 2 to 3 hours. if i am lucky, 4. is he not eating enough anymore? should i start cereal? babies dont usually growth spurt at 4 months though, right? what can i do to ease some of his hunger?

krisew90

Asked by krisew90 at 2:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you may have been lucky he was sleeping through the night before and he may no longer. Babies can go through growth spurts at any time.

It's recommended to breastfeed exclusively until 6 months. Then you can start with mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado and don't need to do baby cereals or foods.

For more info on starting solids go to www.kellymom.com

If you are bottle feeding you can start solids at 4-6 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• He could be going through a growth spurt its very possible. But also you could be starting to slow down on your milk supply. If your set on breast feeding I would start keeping track of how long his feedings are and how much your pumping. Perhaps try to feed and pump more during the day and if you get a lot of pumped milk during the day then feed him a big bottle at night. Make sure he's not loosing weight i would check it. At 3 months my milk supply started to go because of my iud and I had to get on supplements to help my milk supply.

If your willing to give him a bottle then formula would keep him fuller longer and since he's already slept through the night before then he'll be able to handle a night of formula.

Don't do solids until 6 months, its the best thing for them, and just start with rice cereal or something simple. no foods at first because you want to get them used to the different texture.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• From the information in your 2 posts it seems like this article was written just for you. Check it out and know that you have a very normal baby!!  No need for cereal just more quiet nursing time during the day.  Good Luck!!

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Jan0609momma~ Formula is NEVER the answer to a breastfeeding question!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2009