he pulls away while i feed him

i breast feed my four month old and he has been doing GREAT! until recently when he has started to pull away from me while he is eating. before that usually meant he needed to burp, but now he is almost constantly pulling away. he eats for a minute, pulls away, hurries back, eats, pulls away. almost everytime i feed. is it something i am doing differently? how can i help him just eat? what should i do?

krisew90

Asked by krisew90 at 2:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like the 4 month growth spurt! Hang in there, it'll pass. Like PP said, it's to stimulate an increase in supply. A little maddening, but it does go away.... just wait until they get interested in looking around while nursing!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• is he coming down with a cold? many times if they are coming down with something that affects their sinuses they have to pull back to breathe. Also he could be distracted I know  my little ones would pull away look around and then feed again, maybe try to find a quiet place to feed where there is no tv or other people running around. 4 months is the age where they start to really take notice in everything around them and are easily distracted.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• my daughter did and still does the same thing. She is very interested in everything around her. She also thinks its a game. Sometimes its hard not to smile and laugh at her when she is trying to be silly. She is almost 9 months, now she even tries to roll over while she is attached to my boob. I agree with the colds thing, if he is stuffy he might pull away to take breaths. I also noticed whenever my daughter was hitting a 'milestone' like starting teething, growth spurts, etc she would eat differently.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 2:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• From the picture I think this is the same 4 month old that has started waking up at night and you were thinking about starting solids and the baby sneezes?

Stuffy nose, sneezing, teething all goes along with pulling away and waking at night.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would say at this point he's becoming more alert. He's interested in the things around him. Perhaps when you feed him go into a room alone and turn the lights off or down and sit somewhere quiet and comfortable and see if that will get him to focus on eating. Good luck. Try to hold off solids until 6 months, its the best thing for them unless you've gotten an okay from a doctor.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• From what I've heard, latching on for a minute and pulling away and relatching is a baby's way of stimulating your supply to start producing more. Not that it couldn't be any of the other answers, it's just the first thing that I would think would explain it if there aren't other symptoms.
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 5:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• try pumping a little befor feeding him,ur milk could be starting to come out fast.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• he is very interested in everything! if he hears other people while he is eating, he wants to know who it is and he wants to smile at them first. if there is a loud disturbance he will look at me for a minute then wants to see. he doesnt roll over yet tho!
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2009