how to calm him down??

my son is a WILD CHILD. and yes i know that it's perfectly normal for 3yr olds to be wild but i honestly think my son is going to have problems in the future. he's constantly testing me, doesn't listen to anyone but me and his dad, when someone new comes to the house he gets OUT OF CONTROL, and when i take him to the store he runs around like a wild child and doesn't listen to a word i say. is anyone else in the same boat? i feel completely helpless right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• a karate class will help
    or a swim class
    gymnastics class....

something teaching breathing, quietness, respect, listening.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• PS on the store thing, specifically.... I assume you mean grocery, walmart, target, etc?
    Skip lunch, skip snack..... bring a water bottle and a 1/2 sandwich, baggie of crackers, chips, etc etc.... child in cart, food & drink. And then lots of constructive dialog and busywork

Sweetie OH NO! I forgot where they keep the shampoo, take out your goggles and help me find it! (make hands into goggles)

Pretend you're pirates hunting eggs

have them choose, then hold the side dish for dinner

swing by the product dept and buy a package of presliced apples for them to eat right then

hand them a dollar bill to hold onto and help pay for their new socks

keep wild child in cart..... will fight less or not at all if hungry (i promise)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• 1-2-3 Magic.. This book saved my life and my marriage! I swear to you it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It depends on how "wild" he is. It's only normal up to a point.

He gets wild stick his butt in time out until he calms down and wants to behave properly...even in the store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Talk to him about his behavior and let him know what is/is not appropriate with consequences for not listening/following guidelines.  Also books on manners http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=2.  If kids see their favorite character act a certain way, they do too.  Remind him that his favorite character would/would not do this or that.

Here is the book mentioned above as well as other general discipline & parenting books http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=15

Finds ways to release energy in appropriate activities.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 4:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2009