Why is it that we can't discuss vaccines and autism?

I will not belong to a group of any kind if I can't express my opinon or ask a question that I feel compelled to ask. This is a constitutional right first and foremost.

wisdomfromme

Asked by wisdomfromme at 5:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Your right to freedom of speech means the government can't silence you, not that a group on the internet can't have its own rules on what can and can't be discussed. It's totally up to you if you don't want to be in groups that forbid certain topics, but they definitely aren't violating your rights. It's their group.
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 5:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Join a CafeMom group aligned with your beliefs, if you do not want the drama. The answer area is drama-central.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You can discuss it all you want. The only catch is there is not enough research to support the claim and there is so much emotion involved that it's just going to end in a fight between those who are not mature enough to respect each other's opinions. If you are concerned about it, your best approach would be to do your own research and ask questions in such a manner that they cannot argue (yet they will) such as 'where can I find information regarding ... ?" or "does anyone have any valid sites regarding ... ?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Because IT IS A HOT BUTTON TOPIC!!!!!!!!! I am a mom of an Autistic child and I am so damned sick and tired of people trying to start crap by spouting off the 'vaccines cause autism' bs. Most of the time is is someone who has NO CLUE about Autism-- they just like to stir things up and cause drama. If you are talking about some of the Autism groups here on CM-- they ban the vaccine topic because it is so controversial- and sometimes people do not make nice with their answers- they try to shove their beliefs or push their views on everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Its becuase it causes drama... just like this question probably will. People are ignorant and cant see that other parents have different views then they do so it starts heated arguements.

I personally am a pro-vaccinater and NOTHING will change my opinion on that one. I dont really care if they DO find a link to autism (which they have NOT managed to do yet) I will STILL vaccinate my children to protect them against potentially deadly diseases. But what other people do with their own children is their own business! Its just like circumcision... thats another heated topic. I chose to "cut" my son but I know that many people do not make that choice and they will tell me how cruel and mean I am. But yet I TRY to not push ANYTHING down anyone's throat, however I do voice my views on any given topic

But to answer your question again... its to try to cut out drama
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• There is no medical evidence that vaccines and autism are linked. So that tends to set people off and make them feel as if others trying to dredge up drama. I think if someone could show some hardcore, reliable, scientific evidence that one causes the other then it might not be such a freak show when mentioned.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• what who said you can't??
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• SusieD250- some of the Autism groups on CM do not allow vaccine discussions/posts due to the fact it is a controversial subject and brings on alot of strong feelings for/against vaccines. So in order to avoid the drama it causes some of the groups ban the subject and lock those kinds of posts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2009