how long does it take caffiene to get out of your breastmilk?

i accidently drank some mountain dew the other day, not relizing it would affect my baby and he was up all night. so i really need some extra energy today. could i pump the milk and throw it out? or just pump before i drink the soda? i do use some formula too so he will sleep a little longer at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumping won't help to get the caffeine out of your milk, but you could pump before you drink the soda and give that milk to him later. Check out this link on breastfeeding and caffeine.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i always drank coca cola and it never seemed to mess with my daughter, she has always slept threw the night, i breastfed for 16months.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You do realize that giving your baby formula to make him sleep longer at night will also probably increase his risk of dying from SIDS? Also, if he is still waking at night it's because he needs the nutrition and giving a substandard form of nutrition to try and make him go longer may mean he's not getting what he needs.

Do yourself a favor and co-sleep. You will get the sleep you need so that you don't need caffeine and baby will get the milk he needs to grow without disrupting you too much.

I haven't had caffeine in 6 years and have woken every 2-3 hours for nearly 4 of those years... and the same heart arrhythmia that acts up when I have caffeine also acts up when I don't get enough sleep. Co-sleeping has literally saved my health and my sanity. Give it a try.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009