Movie maker afraid of Muslims? What do you think?

Movies are too politically sensitive? In the movie 2012 there is one main religious target NOT destroyed. an Islamic target. According to Sci Fi Wire, by way of Cinematical.com, this was no accident. In an interview, the director said he hoped to destroy the Kaaba, an Islamic holy site, but his fellow screenwriter Harald Kloser persuaded him not to.

“Well, I wanted to do that… but my co-writer Harald said I will not have a fatwa on my head because of a movie. And he was right. … We have to all … in the Western world … think about this. You can actually … let … Christian symbols fall apart, but if you would do this with [an] Arab symbol, you would have … a fatwa, and that sounds a little bit like what the state of this world is. So it’s just something which I kind of didn’t [think] was [an] important element anyway in the film, so I kind of left it out.”

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sure it is hypocritical grly..of course this man is just scared there will be a bullseye on his forehead if he does it..which there likely would be..but it amazes me how some have no issues whatsoever with possibly offending any religion OTHER THEN ISLAM..and obviously this is because they fear ..There are Christian crazies too but there is a reason WHY this man isnt concerned for his life over destroying a Christian icon in a movie...

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• WOW! I didn't realize how successful Muslims were at achieving their goal. That's really pathetic.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I believe so! It's why I'm so worried about the terrorist trial in NYC! I have a sinking feeling they'll get off on a technicality--because the judges and JURY will be afraid of what will happen if the terrorists are executed.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Is it hypocritical of Emmerich to stomp all over other religions but give Islam a pass?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• but I thought islamics and muslims were a group of peace-loving people? why would someone fear a fatwa on their head from such an innocent group? surely they would understand it's just a fictitious movie--and blow things out of proportion (pun intended)?  i just don't understand...perhaps a peace-loving muslim can explain to me, why we should fear pissing you off! lololol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Wasn't it a couple years ago that a comic strip caused a TON of trouble because it made fun of Muhammed? There were killings by Muslims and the stip was pulled around the world! It bothers me when other "extremists" of their faith are compared to Muslims. Other religions may get extremely upset with a comic or a joke, but don't kill and cause riots around the world over it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• micheldo....you mean these "controversial" ones?

http://www.aina.org/releases/20060201143237.htm

Honestly, they're no more satirical than any political or religious comic strips that appear daily in the US!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Unlike the evil, right-wing Christians, the happy, peaceful, multi-cultural Muslims will actually kill you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• The "religion of peace" allows fathers to kill their daughters if they don't like their behavior, and husbands to beat or kill their wives if they don't "behave". I'm surprised that women on here defend the Muslim religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2009