What could your baby say at 1?

What words could your baby say at 12 months? Did s/he know how to associate them with the correct thing?

My son turned 1 a week ago and still only says "Mama". He babbles a lot but no real words. Should I be concerned?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe "mama" and "da" and "ba" (for ball and balloon) and "dah" for dog. My girls both did little more than this at their first birthdays, but soon after picked up a lot. I wouldn't be concerned. Just focus on the one syllable words right now, because those are the ones he'll be able to master first. Try to get him to repeat. Or if you hear him babbling with those sounds, draw attention to it. And then makes sure you're always reading and talking to him. He sounds right on track to me.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If he's babbling, you're good.

None of my three said anything at one year. My oldest started talking at 13 months and was holding full conversations at 18 months, my second said his first word at 15 months and was using short phrases at 2, my last didn't say his first word until 23 months. (the last two were both in speech therapy, the youngest didn't start talking until therapy started)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• my son is almost 13 months and says mama, dada, papa, boo, uh-oh, bye bye, ow, dog, ball and cheese when u take a picture of him. he trys to say thank you.
    kristina_1988

Answer by kristina_1988 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• mine is saying mama and dada and hey or hi when i wave at him. other than that its pretty much babbling.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 12:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• my son said mama & ba (ball at 12 months. now at 16 months he has about 20 word he can say or is trying to say.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My son is 15 months today and says momma and dadda and thats it...he babbles alot and I"m slowly trying to get him to say Byebye and he pretty much just says baba but its a start...we actually learned bc of the way he chews and chokes on food often that it could later lead to a speach problem sounds weird i know but its true so we are putting him in speach therapy in Jan
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 1:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My son is 12 months and he says mama, dada, rock rock (for his rocking horse) and uh-oh

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• By a year old all 4 of my sons were saying 2-3 word phrases at least. Two were talking in longer sentences. My youngest is 18 and when he was 11 mos. old he would tell people "I Danl Woss, I un ear ol" (we'd been teaching him that he was going to be 1 year old. His name is Daniel Ross but at one he could only say Danl Woss). They knew animals, body parts, shapes, colors, actions, etc. by a year old and yes, they could comprehend the words. If they said nose they touched their nose, if they said cat they could point out a cat, they could point down when they said the word down, they could pick out a red cup, they could find a blue ball, etc..
    Anonymous

• Every child develops different. Some talk faster than others. With my kids, my dd said a couple words. With my twins, they said a few more words. Now with our youngest, who is almost 11 months, he says mama, dada, bubu (bubba), isa (sister) nama(grandma) bobo (boob), hi, byebye, bite, mine.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 4:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• There isn't any need to be worried. Some children don't really start talking past "Mamma", "dadda" until two years old. It all depends on the child. My son is 13 months old and he says "Mamma", Dadda", Baba (Bottle), and "Hi", "Nanna", "Ampa" or "Bapa" (Grandpa) . He tries to say a lot of other words, but he's still working on being able to say the words. (Or even a variation of them.) At the moment he just mocks the tone of voice and way we say them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2009