mixing dogs....help!

Here is my problem...we have a 6yo English Bulldog, a 7 month old puppy (the bully's pup) and in 1 week we are recieving a Great Dane who is also 7 month old, any tips on how to get them to be ok with each other. My 6yo is the princess of the house and her pup has always known her as the alfa dog, so I need tips on how to convince the great dane she is one of the pack.
I have been told the new puppy was the most submissive of the litter.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 10:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pets

• We just recently introduced a female husky to our German Shepherd family, 1 male and 1 female. They all found their place on their own. The Husky is aprox 2/3 yrs old, the other 2 are 13, and 6, so they are all adult dogs and did very well getting to know each other. Like the other poster said, watch for fighting, dominance, etc. We only had to discipline the Husky a couple times for growling at the other 2 but once she realized they weren't going to hurt her she was fine. That was about 2 months ago and now they are one big furry happy family. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• if u live in the city limits its illegal to have 3 dogs in one house.. can have 3 pets 2 dogs 1 cat or 2 cats 1 dog but not 3 of same
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i would introduce them first on a place that is neutral territory like a dog park that way you can see how they react to each other and they might not feel like they have to protect their turf
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• In our town it's 4 dogs in one house without a breeders lic. I am not too worried since we are under the limit. I am courious where you live though, we only have a limit on dogs, it would be nice if people could only have a set amount of cats. Our town has sooo many stray outdoor cats its sad.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 10:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Well, I hope the unsolicited advice on the legality of this helped you. :)

Anyway, to answer the actual question you DID ask, I'm no expert, but I'm kind of thinking that it might be best to let them sort out who's in charge on their own. I imagine the puppy will continue to look to the bull dog as leader, since it is the puppy's mom, and if the great dane was submissive, combining that with the fact that he/she will be in unfamiliar territory with unfamiliar dogs, he/she would probably continue that submissiveness, I would think. I wouldn't really try too hard to convince any of them of their place in the pack, just keep an eye on them to ensure there's no fighting or anything and let them figure it out. But again, I'm no expert.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• BTW... We live in the country, and I don't really care what laws say about 2, 3 or 5 dogs, all of ours are fixed and live in our home with lots of love.. So please don't waste your time telling me that we can't have that many dogs in our home. TY
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Thank you ladies, I am feeling a bit more secure this is going to work out. I am just a little worried, a couple of months ago I did try to adopt from an animal shelter and the dog tried to eat my baby (well 6yo, but she will always be my baby puppy). Although the new dog was an adult male, so I am praying that was the issue, we brought my dog to the shelter to see if it would work. I was crushed having to leave the other bulldog at the shelter.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I have four dogs. A four year old chinese crested, a three year old whippet and two 11 week old chihuahua puppies. The dogs will find thier own pack leader, in our house it is the CC, she is in charge and the others know it. We carefully introduced the puppies and rewarded the older dogs for thier patience. The puppies were all over them! We allow the older dogs puppy free time and it seems to be working. We are on week three and they are even cuddling up to each other for naps.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 8:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009