Can a toddler become allergic to soy milk after she has had it her entire life?

my now 2 1/2 yr old has had a milk allergie since she was born. she was on soy formula and when we transitioned from formula to milk she then had a milk allergie we then went on to soy milk. we have never tried her on milk since we first gave it to her at 9 months old...so my question is...can a toddler become allergic to soy and their body be required to have actual milk?

Shear.Q.T

Asked by Shear.Q.T at 10:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes. This happens in adults too
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• yes. Allergies are a learned response. A person can be highly sensitive to food without showing an outward allergic reaction.

You can ask your dr to do a rast test for IgE & IgG to confirm any allergy suspicions.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Anyone can develop an allergy or intolerance to any food at anytime. I was in my 30's and developed an intolerance to dairy. It stinks because I LOVE cheese and ice cream. The milk isn't a problem though because I don't drink much milk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yes, a child can develop an allergy to something long after she has been exposed to it, and no, just because your child develops an allergy to soy doesn't mean it is now safe for her to have milk now because allergies don't work that way. Take her to an allergist and have her evaluated properly.
    Anonymous