My 15 moth old has a runny nose and has been coughing for about a week now. I think it's a cold but not sure because. She doesn't have a fever, she's eatig and playing, but coughs when she runs around. Should I be concerned that this is something other than a cold, and how long do colds normally usually last?

msdg

Asked by msdg at 10:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be allergies instead of a cold...usually this time of year until the first hard frost, there is a lot of allergens in the air.

The cough is probably the result of the runny nose. Unless she starts wheezing in her lungs or running a fever, just let it run it's course. We have been dealing with this for almost 2 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Go to WEBMD .com

Answer by louise2 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• my son had these symptoms and it was a sinus infection and required antibiotics though his cough is better he still has it! Is her mucus clear? If so I'd say allergies
    nellyb118

Answer by nellyb118 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Sounds like sinus and allergies, it's been affecting a lot of people here lately. Just make him as comfortable as you can, use a humdifier, vacum often....
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It's a cold. When you have a cold what happens when YOU start running around? You're going to cough more, too!

Colds can last a couple of weeks, the cough even longer.

The color of the mucous has nothing to do with anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My son (19 months) has the exact same thing. No fever, runny nose (clear), cough, feels fine. It's probably a cold. The mucus is causing the cough. The cough is your child trying to expel the mucus. My doc recommended 1/2 tsp of children's Benadryl which dries them upa bit, slowing the runny nose, and reducing the cough. Do not give cough medicine. You only need antibiotics if it ends up being a sinus infection. The indicator for that is snot that turns bright yellow or greenish. My son's colds usualy run about a week or so.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2009