A cult is just a religion with no political power

Do you agree with this? Why or why not?

If Christianity, Islam, Judiaism or any other 'accepted' religion were not integrated into politics, would they be considered crazy cults?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christianity, in it's earliest stages could have been considered a cult within Judaism.
    iLove.nml

Answer by iLove.nml at 11:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• IMO they are all cults, and driven by money hungry people that are sitting back and laughing at all the people who are handing in their 10% every Sunday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Can I copy and paste my answer to your other question?

Cults are simply religious organizations that are small in relation to the mainstream religions and are not recognized by the government as legit religions. However, as I stated in my other answer, since ALL religions started this way in one way or another it tends to point to the fact that cults are not the evil groups they are made out to be. Most are simply religious movements that are to small or to new to be seen as legit religions and are no more dangerous than the mainstream. Unfortunately the only ones we hear about are the ones with violent or dangerous beliefs or practices and thus the word cult has come to have a negative meaning.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Cults usually feature one leader who wants the members of the group/cult to follow all their philosophies, do what they need to do for the leader in order to remain part of the group and they don't even have to follow teachings of theBible. If they do, they also change some of the traditional teachings, modfy in order to glorify the Leader and soldify his position and power. There can be lots of brainwashing and fear involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I see a lot of explanations of Cults as "Christian knock-offs" are their cults that aren't Christians related?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I'm not really sure about politics, don't LDS have a lot of say in Utah? They are considered a Cult sometimes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2009