If you are on WIC do you BF or FF?

If you are on WIC, just curious if your breastfeed or formula feed? I've seen studies that except for Hispanic women, a high percentage women on WIC do not, or give up on breastfeeding.

This is partially because many women choose not to breastfeed because of a lack of education and support about breastfeeding. Studies show that older educated woman are more likely to breastfeed and stick with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i ff b/c my baby can't latch on to me he was born 4 weeks premature and can only take the soothie bottles anf pacis
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• well im 24 and i breastfed no formula all the way up until my lil one was 16months. the only suport i had was from hubby,my family thought i was wierd for it. and i had no education,no class i took. i get wic, they actualy gave me a realy nice pump that i got to keep.i think alot of women are kind of lazy and dont want to spend all the time it takes to nurse. it is very hard work.i just wish i had mre support from his family and mine, but no one has ever breastfed so i dont think they knew what to think
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• im sorry im not talking about the women that have tried and cant breastfed about being lazy, im talking about women like my sisters, who want to do drugs and drink and dont want to spend alot of time nursing baby, i dont want anyone geting what i said wrong
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You can BF, FF or both and be on WIC they don't discriminate!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• to anon 11:01 that did not read the post. You're right they do not discriminate, and they give out free stuff.... that plus a lack of education means that people don't breastfeed when they should
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• it is my understanding that moms on WIC who breastfeed actually get more food for their family; I would think that this would motivate them to try breastfeeding.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I breastfeed. I'm 20 and was completely uneducated about breastfeeding when I went into it. All I knew was you produce milk and the baby drinks it lol. I had a few doubts but the first time me and my DD tried, it was completely natural. The only support I have is my SO and my mom, besides WIC and my DD's doctor who has helped me tremendously.
    Nobody thought I'd stick to it but I'm 5 weeks in and I love it.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Good for you Marix!!! I Keep up the good work!!!!
    Anonymous

• I think the first several weeks of nursing can sometimes be very hard and when you have the option to get formula for free (and don't know anything about formula), you loose the motivation the stick it out, or try to work on issues like baby not latching.

We don't qualify for WIC and, at least with my first, would not have been able to afford formula and continue paying our mortgage. It was breastfeed, or loose our house. I think if more moms were faced with decisions like that, they would be more motivated to make breastfeeding work.

That said, there is a great deal of bad info out there and until the medical community starts giving good info reliably I don't think we will see the breastfeeding rates we want.

Moms have to want to nurse though. If they don't really want to and have a free alternative available to them, they will give up at the first sign of a problem. So... I guess it has to come from both ends.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My son wouldn't latch on and I didn't produce enough milk pumping to satisfy him. Not even to use it as a suppliment with the formula. Therefore, I chose to formula feed my son, so that he would get what he needed. My daughter latched on right away, but after a few days refused to try. I kept at it hoping she would latch on again, but she wouldn't. I switched to formula and she's been on it ever since. Though I produced more with my daughter, I still didn't produce much.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2009