new mom learning to breast feed...I have a question

My son is only 3 days old now
I have chosen to Breastfeed only

at this point in time every time I have him latch theres pain and then it slowly goes away.
Does this pain stay around?

also how do I get him to latch while laying down? any pointers?

any tips just in general?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pain at latch-on is 100% normal. It'll go away in a few weeks

Laying down when he was a newborn was a little tricky (my second, my first was easy). For my second, he was so small I had to prop his head up on my arm to get him into a position to nurse laying down. Also, tilt his head back (I still do this) so that he can breathe from his nose. It's funny because I didn't have the breathing issue with my first and I know my boobs haven't changed and the boys look identical.

Anyway... other tips... just hang in there! Nursing will get really easy and become second nature, but the first several weeks can be tough. Expect growth spurts. Between 2-3 weeks and the again at 6 weeks... baby will want to nurse constantly and possibly get upset and act like they aren't getting anything. It's OK. Baby is just increasing your supply and it will pass. Watch diapers if you are concerned about how much baby is getting... TBC
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If you're feeling pain when he's latching on you should check his position. Make sure that his lips aren't tucked in. It can be uncomfortable in the beginning, but it shouldn't be painful.

Latching while lieing down is pretty similiar to latching while sitting. Lie on your side with your arm under him. Use your other hand to squeeze your breast (imagine you're holding a hamburger) and when his mouth opens nice and wide roll him towards you.

Good luck. Keep trying and remember to drink lots of water and get lots of rest. :)
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 11:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• make sure he is latching on correctly! it is also due to your breasts getting used to nursing! go to kellymom.com or the la leche league website for some pointers! if you gave birth in a hospital, call the nursery and see if the lactation consultant is on duty, or contact your local la leche league and they can meet with you to help :)
    due to my big boobs I always had to hold them up to support them better otherwise my son didnt latch well
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• oh and congrats on the baby and deciding to breastfeed :)
    Owl_Feather

• yes the lactation consultant said it was a good latch...i think im just sensitive.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It took me almost 2 weeks for the pain to go away. Though I would still have pain when the water in the shower hit my nipples. That lasted for another week or two. I didn't really do the laying down position until she was probably closer to a month old and I knew more of what I was doing. I just roll her over to her side and then I'm on my side with my breast at her mouth. We don't co-sleep except on weekend mornings, but some women do and they fall asleep while their baby is nursing. I'm way too paranoid that I will smother her if I fall asleep so I stay awake until she is finished and then I roll her back onto her back.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You want to see one diaper per day of life during week 1, and at least 6 thereafter. If he making plenty of diapers, you know your supply is fine.

Also, two little things... to prevent leaking from the opposite breast at letdown, press in on that nipple with the ball of your palm and it will stop the milk from coming. And sunlight will take out breastfed baby poop stains. Just rinse, lay in the sun and wash like normal.

Goodluck, and congrats! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• it will go away. it is always uncomfertable in the beginning.

and when you think the pain is the absolute worst..... it's probably at it's peak. it took me about 1 week postpartum to hit that peak. 7m later, we're going good.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• There's some lanolin stuff that helped me a lot while I was nursing my babies. It's called Lansinoh. It was a godsend.

With my first baby I actually developed BLOOD BLISTERS on my nipples!

Oh...how about how weird it feels when your milk is letting down and you actually feel that? Here is a website that helped me some.

http://www.breastfeeding-mom.com/lanolin-cream.html
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 1:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Kellymom is a helpful site, here is some info:

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2009