How do u night wean from breastfeeding if you co-sleep?

The doctor told me to not co-sleep anymore but 2 changes at once...I dont think so. I am considering just going cold turkey because I achieved my goal of one year and I'm proud of myself but it's time to let go and I believe a child needs to learn to self soothe. We got into the bad habit of using nursing to get my son to fall asleep...but I need a break. There is no one to help me, my parents live in another state, my sons father cant help (long story) and the only family I have here is my sister who has a daughter of her own to worry about and cant help. So its not like I can ask someone else to rock him to sleep (and i dont have a rocker). If you dont believe in weaning, I dont need your advice (no offense). I believe the parent should decide when the child is done nursing and I decided now is the time. Please let me know what worked for you, especially for night weaning if you cosleep. Thanks!

kristina_1988

Asked by kristina_1988 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't breatsfeed, but I am curretly reading the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers." It has a lot of information in there about your subject. Maybe it could help you?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 years. I breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months. We co-slept until she was sleeping through the night at around 14 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• the easiest way to wean them is to get them out of your bed. Both my younger kids co slept till 12mos when I moved them and were very attached to nursing. I wasn't sure how well they would take the transition (they are 3 years apart but did the smae thing with both) Well once I moved them and I was not right there they didn't wake to BF....I was kinda surprised. I don't do cold turkey but rather take the easier feeding times first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Ask yourself this - why?
    Your doctor telling you not to co-sleep is like my dentist telling me to eat organic. It's not really any of his business, even if it seems like it's related to something that might be.

What do you have to GAIN by kicking your kid out of your bed and stopping nursing? Is your gain in the best interest of your CHILD?
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 12:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• o god...i dont care how long the world health organization says to breastfeed...im weaning no matter what! if they said wean when theyre 13 would u? this is in the best interest of both of us because maybe now he will be able to be babysat and give me a much needed break which in turn will make me less stressed. i asked for help...not criticism. i believe in weaning and a year is all the need.
    kristina_1988

Answer by kristina_1988 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• follow your instinct on how to wean him at night.... and kick him out of your bed.

(oops.. there is no instinct on how to do that, because it goes against your motherly instincts, which is why you keep putting it off... just listen to your heart... it will tell you that your baby still needs you.)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Why can't you call a sitter now and then? Breastfeeding and cosleeping have nothing to do with that. If you need a break then take a break, you don't have to go through a whole process just because the doctor said so.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Your baby is capable of sleeping long enough to not nurse during the night. He only wakes up to nurse because it is comforting and he wants to. With my first child I did what you're doing now, until he was 11 months. Then I decided it was time for him to sleep in his own bed. I did the No Cry Sleep Solution to get him to sleep on his own. He would sometimes wake up to feed once during the night and I would go and nurse him in his room, and put him right back to bed. He self-weaned around 14 months.

My second child is 9 months right now. I co-slept with her until she was about 5 months. Then I started sleep training her into her crib. She now can sleep through the night, but usually wakes once to eat. Now, there will be tears when you do this, but your child is old enough to know that when they cry you run to them. There is nothing wrong with letting them. But you don't HAVE to wean to get sleep.
    Anonymous