My dog just bit me!!! We are tore up right now. Need advice please!!!

Our dog has always been very agressive and mean. He always growls. I have had a feeling this was gonna happen but hoped it wouldnt. My DH is so close to this dog and thats really the only reason I have kept him. He is a maltese shitzhu mix. About an hour ago, he did it. He bit me really hard on the foot and drew blood. It was over his food. I told him to go lay down and my foot touched his back legs and he bit me. It drew blood. I started screaming bc it hurt really bad and im am no baby. I can handle pain. We have had him almost 2 years. We have a 6 month old son and I cant let this happen to him.
What do I do???? Take him to the shelter???
Even tho he bit me this is so hard and my DH is crying and so upset.
Has anyone ever been therw this??
Plz what would you do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I'm sry but I would get rid of it before it turns and hurts your child or children.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i would'nt give this dog the opportunity to turn on your child...get it out of the house now. I know people think of animals the same as they do their children but if you let an aggresive animal stay in your house and it does happen then you were just asking for it and its your fault...its neglecting your children...you should'nt put animals before your children especially when they are acting like that.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Your son is young...but will be a toddler soon. Toddlers and aggressive dogs do NOT work well together. That dog will hurt your son.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Find him a new home. Don't expect people to PAY you to take him off your hands. Find a little old lady with no young kids around and gift him to her. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I had a dog that kept on growling and then he started to bite. When he bite me an my hubby I put him down. It was very sad, but that was the right thing to do. We had our first grandson and they where going to live with us for a few months. I could not have my dog bite my grandson that would be wrong.

If your dog is young and has started to do this, than he will only get worse.
    Tell your husband that it would be the best thing for your family to put him down and it will the best for your pet. He bites someone that might beat the crap out of him and sue you.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Give him to a shelter. He might have to be put down, a dog that aggresive. But whether someone takes him or what, he has to go. Your 6 month old is going to grow up and he'll be messing with the dog and the dogs food. Not safe if your dog is that aggresive.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i wouldnt put him down, i would find him a home that doesnt have any small children. i agree w/ the anonymous poster at 11:24am. dogs can get territorial about their food, even the nicest dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• He is possessive of his food and probably other things if i had to guess. It is also called Resource guarding. This is a very normal dog behavior and can be fixed. My own dog was a resource guarder. DO NOT GIVE THIS DOG AWAY OR PUT HIM DOWN. You have allowed this behavior to go on. You should take the time to fix the problem instead of putting it on someone else. The first thing you need to start doing is hand feeding him at least once a day. You need to make him work for everything. Nothing should be free he must earn it. In the beginning all privileges need to be revoked. Don't allow him in bed or on the furniture. If he is possessive of toys or bone they must be taken away for awhile. There is a book you should read called MINE! Resource guarding in dogs by Jean Donaldson, You can find it on Amazon.com. I hope you will take my advise because this is a fixable problem. It does take work but it is doable.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i think you should give him to kylies mom
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• LOL If she lived close i would be glad to help but my husband would kill me if i brought home another pet. We have a zoo as is. But if i could i would because Resource guarding is not true aggression and is fixable.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2009