Is breast feeding really that bad?

I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant and i was wondering if breast feeding is all that bad. My mom thinks its gross, my sister says its super painful, and everybody else i ask just give me strange looks and look at me like I'm crazy. I at least wanted to try to breastfeed. I want my baby to have the best possible nutrition and if I do have to formula feed, i want to do it knowing that I at least tried breastfeeding first. How was it in your experience?

mommy2be121609

Asked by mommy2be121609 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow thats the first time I have heard someone say that breast feeding is bad or what ever they told you. Definatly breast feed if you can, there is no formula out there that can even compare to breast milk even though the cans will say theres nutrients found in breast milk bottome line is its not breast milk so do the best you can with nursing. I find that really strange that your mom would tell you that most moms encourage there daughters to breast feed. Not too mention that nursing is the greatest bond you can have with your child. I nursed my first till he was 13 months and then he self weened and I plan on nursing this only as well for as long as they want. GL and your the mom not them so do what you feel is best sweetie.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Well it hurt at first but it's not as bad as they are making it sound. Try it, if it's for you, you will stick with it. Don't let anyone influence you either way though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Some women have pain during the first few day. Some women are too immature to get past the sexualtiy of breasts. For me, breastfeeding was an amazing experience. I strongly recommend that you educate yourself on infant and child nutrition (don't rely on doctors, they tend to know very little about nutrition).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i'm sorry you don't have more support. breastfeeding should never be very painful. it might feel kind of uncomfortable, very slightly painful at first but if it's very painful there is a latch problem, thrush, or some other problem, that a lactation consultant could help with. i think breastfeeding is great. =) it can be very hard for the first several weeks but after that it gets sooo easy. just in the beginning it's kind of tiring with all of the frequent, lengthy nursing sessions. all in all the first hard weeks are worth it. good luck :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• BAD?!? Not at all!!!

But *I* am in a very supportive environment~ no one has ever once said anything bad about anything regarding BFing in my life.
    (In real life, CM, there are negative comments.)

I have been nursing every single day for over 7 years. My children are great, I am great, no problem! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I loved nursing my second 2. I gave up on my first because my mother sounds a lot like yours. Don't listen to her. Make sure you don't feel bad about going in the other room and nursing when family is over. With my first, I was too polite and stayed with everyone and just gave bottles. If it is very painful, you are probably engorged. That will definitely happen. Get a pump and pump just enough to make yourself more comfortable before you nurse. I have wonderful nursing memories and I miss it!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Be sure to read books and join a group like La Leche League for help & support. It makes a LOT! of difference! :-)
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It hurt me for the first two weeks and we had a good latch. I would at least recommend trying it for a month or two to really give it a chance. After that first two weeks, it's been smooth sailing since. One thing is, it's ridiculously convenient. You don't have to pack bottles, formula, etc in the diaper bag when you go out. You don't have to prepare a bottle in the middle of the night when the baby is crying and hungry. You just pull out the boob and there you go. Easy as pie. And it's free! I would recommend attending La Leche League meetings, though, to get some support. Especially since it sounds like your family isn't supportive of it. One comment of, I don't think the baby is getting enough, from Grandma and now she has planted the seed of doubt and then the next thing you know you're supplementing unnecessarily. Good luck.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I have breastfed 4 children. All of them for no less than 14 months. It can have it's humps. the first few months are very tiring and you can feel like you produce more milk than the local dairy because demand feeding the first few months is so important to your supply. As far as painful goes, I never had much problem. I always started using lanolin on my nipples twice a day from my 8th month on. Using it between feedings as well. I never had a really hard time with cracked nipples. I did have thrush with my third but it passed with meds. While you are at the hospital ask if they have a lactation nurse on staff that can see you. As a first time mother I was very happy to have that instruction.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 12:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• No body in my family was supportive either! They mostly thought it was gross and my MIL always pointed out that since I was feeding every two hours, they maybe were not getting enough to eat. The fact is that you do have to feed them more often, breastmilk digests much easier than formula. It hurst a little at first while your body adjusts to the changes. Lansinoh creme (from Target, purple box) and it will help with sore nipples. I breastfed two kids for 1 1/2 years and they are so healthy. Stick to your guns...you are making a great decision!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2009