Do you bake?

I've recently started baking more. I suck at it, but it's a fun hobby, haha. I much prefer cooking savory food.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My 16 year old daughter is amazing at baking. I can cook the hell out of a turkey, but can't make brownies.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I love baking. You can take classes at a community college. They are like $60.00 for the whole course and they are fun.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I love cooking and baking is fun too. The difference is with baking everything has to be PERFECT. Each measurement has to be exact or it can ruin everything. I make great pies and cakes and breads . . . but I have yet to master cookies . . . they are always too cakey.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I love to cook and bake..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Oooh see that's my thing with baking! I like to experiment and I get so nervous about making everything exact. When I cook mushrooms or stir fry I can add as much or as little of something as I want.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I bake in spurts. Baking during the holidays is my favorite. I have a Wilton gingerbread house kit I bought years and years ago that has cardboard templates and recipes for the gingerbread and icing used. It's a lot of work but the results are amazing.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Bridget- if your cookies are too cakey- you could be using too much baking soda- it would cause them to rise. Maybe finding a recipe with more butter. Also- more eggs makes for a more cakey texture- if you use jumbo try downsizing to large.

OP- I am the opposite of you. I love to bake and could take or leave cooking. I am starting my Xmas baking soon- I bake tons at Xmas- I start early and freeze them along the way. I have a large family- plus I like to send some to my grandmothers.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 11:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I love to cook and bake! Just follow the recipe exactly when baking and everything should turn out fine! Once you get good at that, there are substitutions and different things to add to give it a different texture or flavor. My favorite is substituting corn syrup or Grand Marnier (liqour) for oil in cakes. or you could do 1/2 oil and 1/2 the other. Makes the cakes moister and is very hard to screw up!
    Anonymous

• Also, you can use any liqueur as a substitute. Grand Marnier is one of my favs tho.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ave.maria . . . I will definitely keep that in mind!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2009