Cow's Milk

At what age did you transition your baby to cow's milk and how did you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We didn't; we have a baby human, not a baby cow. My daughter self-weaned at 23 months; she drank either breastmilk or water. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Maybe around the 10 month to the year mark. It was defintally after foods were introduced. I gave my son cows milk for breakfast only for about a week and when i felt assure that his stomache was ok with it thats when i took him off of formula for good and gave him cows milk.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I put 1/2 BM n 1/2 CM in his oatmeal/cereal. Then gradually put more. Sometimes had 2 go back 2 BM n start all over again. Now he drinks soymilk and there was no transition (17mos).
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• at 11 months my pedi gave me a great thing to follow.. first week and a half 2oz milk6oz formula second week and a half 3oz milk 5oz formula next week and a half do 4oz milk 4oz formula then do all milk after that last week and half
    alicianana4life

Answer by alicianana4life at 12:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• He started tolerating cows milk at age 2. He would steal sips from daddies cup whenever daddy had milk... he weaned 6 months later and began asking for cows milk on his own. He still only gets it if he asks.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• At 10 months I ran out of formula when I was not at home and my mother gave DS a bottle of cows milk, he refused to drink formula again. He actually almost became dehydrated b/c I called the Dr. asking what to do and the phone nurse said don't give in when he is hungry he will drink the formula, he went a whole day with no bottles! I kept trying to give him formula he would take a few sips and stop and cry. I went to the pediatrician and he wrote a note for WIC to change him to whole milk.
    Anonymous

• I hate when people say they don't give milk because they don't have a baby cow. Shut up, there's nothing wrong with drinking milk. I drink it every day, it's better than sugar filled juices.
    And usually you can give it at a year.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• When my son was 11 months we started giving him 1/2 milk, 1/2 formula in a sippy cup, then gradually reduced the amount of formula and increased the milk. He didn't have any problems with the taste or digestion.

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Our pediatrician had us start at 9 months because they were eating all table foods and a balanced diet. There were also no family or personal histories of food sensitivities or allergies. We just switched over. No mixing.

rkoloms....you're so sad.
    Anonymous

• I started mixing a bit of cow milk with her formula at 8 months, more for the reason that we were broke and absolutely couldn't afford formula except what WIC provided. I started just putting a splash in here and there, and worked in a little bit more as the weeks went by until she was drinking it half and half. Now she is almost 11 months old, and I give her half whole milk, half formula. If we run out of formula I just give her milk by itself.

My mom put all of us on whole milk at 6 months old, and the youngest at 4wks old, because she was told she had cancer so she stopped breastfeeding for the chemo. (turned out she didn't though). But this was 15 yrs ago.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2009