When do you add cereal to your babies bottle? What age?

My baby is 1 month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol, I asked this question once and got my ass jumped and never got an answer. Your doctor will say not in the bottle and don't add cereal till about four months.
    Anonymous

• My doctor said 4 months but then I told him I wanted to do only breastmilk until 6 months and he was fine with that. So I will probably never give cereal.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You don't, no need to.
    Anonymous

• Short answer? Never. Cereal never goes in a bottle unless it's expressly for a medical issue (Such as reflux).

Introducing cereal too early can lead to medical issues down the road.. like diabetes, obesity and digestive disorders. It's a risk and should not be done unless the medical use outweighs those risk. It's also an aspiration risk.

At the very minimum, your baby should be sitting unassisted and be able to eat from a spoon without pushing the food back out (loss of tongue-thrust reflex) before you start solids. I prefer my kids to feed themselves when they start, so they also need a pincer grasp... but I know not everyone is the same as me. :)

I also think cereal is garbage food in general, not that you asked...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• never ever...
    alicianana4life

Answer by alicianana4life at 12:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You obviously know the answer hence the anon post ..... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!! Well unless you wish to add many risks to your child's health.

If your child is hungry feed them breastmilk or formula NOTHING else at 1 month!!

Anonymous

• NEVER....when your baby can eat cereal from a spoon is when he/she is old enough for cereal unless the pediatrician says to do it for medical reasons!
    Anonymous

• Most babies don't start cereal until at least 4mths unless a pediatrician says otherwise. You should ask your child's doctor. And I wouldn't put it in the bottle. It clogs it up. It's easier to give it to them by spoon. Why does everyone want to rush with solids?
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 1:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I started putting 1 tbsp of rice cereal in my baby's bottle whenever she was 6 wks old, because she was going through a growth spurt and was so hungry all the time, and I couldn't keep up my supply to meet her demands. It helped a LOT. Go with what you feel is right. A lot of people on here will tell you it's a "choking hazard" but it's only a hazard if you mix it up so thick that it's chunky. If you stick with just a tbsp or two per 8 oz bottle and mix it up really well, it will still flow through the bottle nipple like plain milk.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I never did. We did cereal in a bowl a few months later, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2009