• In the Spotlight:

I want to adopt...but how?

Okay so, my hubby and I have two kids and we were thinking about adopting in about 2-3 years from now. But where do we start? What do we need? We live in Ga, and we dont know of any good adoption agencies (yet). How long does it generally take to go through the entire process?

I know these are a lot of questions, but hey...we want to do things perfectly and Im sure you ladies have some great advice!

Thanx.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 12:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• This will be your easiest route.
    http://www.adoptuskids.org/resourceCenter/rrtPackets/georgia.aspx

We've been thinking about adoption for a few years but with moving from South Carolina to Virginia and now to Georgia...difficult.

I wish you the best of luck!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 12:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You need to research and determine what type of adoption you want to pursue.

There are tons of different adoption avenues - each very distinct. There is foster adoption for a child already available for adoption - there's foster to adopt where there is legal risk of reunification - private adoption where you locate a birth or expectant mom and handle via private attorney - domestic infant adoption - international adoption, etc. I'm sure I've even, inadvertently, left some off the list!

I'd start by deciding what age child you'd like to add to your family. Foster adoption is right for us - and we've added a son (15 months at the time he came home, he's kinship), a 7 yr old whom we hope to finalize soon and her 9 month old half sister who came straight to us from birth that we're not certain we'll get to adopt.

For me, the first step would be learning about the types and deciding what's right for your family :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Looking for advice in the "answers" section is a bad idea. There are many angry, wounded people here that only see adoption through "pain colored glasses" and are not able to give objective, rational advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Pick up the book "The Adoption Resource Book" by by Lois Gilman. Great book for background info on different types of adoptions, costs/issues of each, plus a list of agencies (not complete but a starting point if nothing else). length of time it takes varies dramatically based on type of adoption and simply luck of the drawn. My husband and I adopted domestically and it took us 2 1/2 yrs from start to finish. A friend also adopted domestically and it took only 1 yr from start to finish. Internationally it can take years at the moment but it varies by country. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You didn't mention how old you are, but keep in mind that many agencies (if you go that route) have age limits. We came upon that when we first started looking into it (DH had reached 40). You may want to get the ball rolling, if you haven't already. Your choices can become more limited when they start telling you that you or your spouse are too old.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Anon :10--four answers so far besides yours. did you bother to read them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I would look into all types of adoption, domestic infant adoption, intrnational, or foster care. Each type has it's own set of pros & cons, and you can see what best suits your family. When we started, we thought it would take forever, and in a way it seems like it did, but in other ways, it seems like we started yesterday. Regardless of the type, please educate yourself about the loss and grief involved in adoption. While we are adding a son/daughter to our family, they are losing their birth family (at least legally.) We are adopting thru the state (foster care) a little boy who came to us as an infant and that we've had in our care for 2 years now. It has been a long, hard, rewarding journey. Foster care may not be for everyone, but it has been the answer for us. Good luck on your journey.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• We are adopting internationally (Russia) and the process isn't as long there as some. I agree with a few of the posters here in that you need to figure out if you want to adopt domestically or internationally and the age range/gender of the child you want to adopt. With Russian adoptions, little girl referrals take much longer then little boy referrals. Right now, China's referrals are up to about 6 years, so its a very long wait to adopt from there. I also live in GA and if you are adopting internationally, it is not necessary to use an agency that is in our state (ours is not). We deal mostly with them either over the phone or in emails and thus far, things have gone very smoothly. We are now waiting for our second and final trip to go to court and bring home our little one! If I can help you further, send me a message and I'll be happy to answer any questions I can on international adoption!
    MinnieMagic

Answer by MinnieMagic at 10:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2009