his umbilical cord...

at the very base where you would expect for the belly button to start there is a lot of green crust. and wheh he cries it pertrudes outward
if anyone knows if this is normal please let me know

if you know any other info on what is okay and not okay for the umbilical cord while it is drying out please tell me. I have a doc appt at 3pm and its only 9:30am right now.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughters cord base was all gooy and gross my nurse told me to to worry unless it starts to stink i know gross but always ask your doc there is a reason they get paid the big bucks they have all the answers
    mommymattingly

Answer by mommymattingly at 12:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Have you been caring for it the way the doctor instructed you to? With my first baby, I had to clean the umbilicus with alcohol on a q-tip all the time. With my second, they put a drying agent on it and I only had to clean it if he somehow soiled it.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 12:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would start cleaning it with alcohol, if you aren't already. It's hard to tell without seeing it. Babies do startle/cry when you use the alcohol, but it's because the alcohol is cold on their skin, not because it hurts like it would on a cut. There aren't any nerves at the base of the umbilical cord.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2009