can anyone recommend a good afordable sewing machine?

I want to add this to my christmas list, but my husband wants to know exactly what brand and model, I have seen some nice singer ones (with computerized stiches) and brothers.. can anyone tell me their experience with sewing machines, which one they like best?
thank you.

yvonne37

Asked by yvonne37 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have had Singers and I currently had a 6 yr old Pfaff that I love. It was probably mid - higher end 6 yrs ago but we bought it on sale and got like 40% off. It was still about $1000. There are weeks when I sew for hours every day and it hasn't given me any problems. I've had to replace the light bulb and that's been it. Of course I clean and oil it as needed.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I just got a Brother LS2125. It's very user-friendly and CHEAP! You can find a refurbished one on eBay for $59, and new for $80. It's a basic machine (10 stitches, buttonhole), so if you want embroidery and other frills you won't get it with this one. But, if you're looking for something to do basic sewing, it's a decent machine.

http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=LS2125
    shesajar

Answer by shesajar at 9:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My sister is in the sewing machine business. She sells Viking & White. I have a low-end Viking. It is a fine machine, not computerized but does several automated stitches & buttonholes. She sells some awesome computerized Viking machines. Viking dealers are independent and can give you a good deal. Lucky you! A sewing machine for Christmas.
    Lauries_Mom

Answer by Lauries_Mom at 11:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Depends how much money your talking about spending. I've never had a sewing machine above 200 bucks so I wouldn't know any of the top brands. I use my sewing machine everyday fixing or making something. I have had a Kenmore,Singers,and the best one I have now is a Viking sewing machine that was passed down to me. I just got the Viking one a month ago and am still in the early stages of figuring it out but it's fun. It's the old kind -not the computerized one -some day I'll get one.. SIgh...Good luck on your search.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd stick to either a Brother, Singer, Bernina or Janome.

Mechanicals are great for beginners and are cheaper to service (bc it WILL need to be serviced.) Mech's are generally around 50-60 to repair. Computerized are usually at LEAST 100 to repair. But comp's have lots of awesome features and great tools--but unless you wil be sewing A LOT, a mechanical is just fine fo ryou.
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 10:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• thank you ladies for all your replies.. we (my hubby and me) had done some search, read your advice and done some window shopping.. :) so now he knows what I want and like and whats good out there.. guess Im getting my gift!!! :))
    yvonne37

Answer by yvonne37 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Brother at Wal-Mart
    ifollowjesus

Answer by ifollowjesus at 7:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2009