How can I get my fussy baby to sleep when we first put him to bed?

Each night around 7pm we start our bedtime routine...head up to the nursery, put our son in his PJs, change him, feed him, then put him to bed. This seems to be the ONLY feeding of the day where he wont go to sleep afterwards. He is up 1 hour later, then another hour later and is fussy until about 12 or 1am. During the day we feed him every 2-2.5 hours and try to keep him awake. What can we do to help his sleeping pattern and get us some much needed shut eye?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He could be gassy or have colic..
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My 8 month old does the same thing... he will go several hours during the day and then nurse every hour or so right after bedtime. *shrug*... it's normal. He does it until we go to bed together and then sleeps nearly until morning (so far as I remember!). I figure it's a combo of missing me and cluster feeding... he's nursing less during the day and so making up for it at night.
    I don't mind it so much, he's easy to put make to sleep.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You don't mention how old he is? Is there a possibility that he is overtired from being up all day and so finds it hard to unwind at night?

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Why are you keeping him up during the day? That will just make him overtired. Babies need their sleep, and not getting enough throws off their sleep cycles tremedously. I recommend the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". I read it when my son was 9 months old. He went from taking several cat naps (20 min) a day and not sleeping well at night, to taking two 1-3 hour long naps during the day and started sleeping from 7:30pm to 7:30-8:30 am all because of the advice in the book. He is still a great sleeper now at 2 years old.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Take your baby to bed with you and nurse to sleep. Either sleep with the baby or slip the baby into a co-sleeper or bassinet next to your bed.

Babies don't like nurseries. They like mommies milk, arms and to be next to her at night.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2009