are there any moms out there not planning to circumcise their sons

I am due in march and really struggling with whether or not to circumcise my baby boy once he is born- of course my hubbie wants to but I am concerned about the pain the baby will feel and hearing him scream each time he pees until it heals- is it really necessary?

momasoonto2

Asked by momasoonto2 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is not necessary. there are no proven medical benefits.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Me! I am not going to do it because its against in what i believe in. I dont want my baby screaming bloody murder plus its not necessary. my husband knows i am not going to do it and he cant stop me. he knows why too. I am not vaccine my child or giving him vitamin k shot after birth. Vitamin K is to help blood clot. If you circumsize a baby with out it then the baby is going to clot. but since i dont believe in vaccines or circumsizing then im okay. I am having a home birth too. so no needles in this house for anything. I dont know for sure if the baby is a boy but i have a feeling it is.
    Anonymous

• It isn't neccisary. It started out as a Jewish custom and turned into yet another Media Health Craze. Though there are studies leading to it being healthy for baby, I haven't seen one yet proving that it is the healthiest compared to not circumsizing. I didn't circumsize my son, as I didn't feel it was neccisary. I also am not Jewish, so I didn't have any ties to the religious tradition of it. I don't feel that it was needed for my son to get one done. The doctors tried to give me the "It's healthiest for baby to get it" and throw some scare tactics in there to the rare things that could happen. However, I don't agree with much of what they said and haven't heard of any of those things actually happening. Do you research of all the pros and cons. If you, in the end, don't feel it's needed then talk with Hubbs and try to get on the same page.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I have b/g twins plus an older son. I have had both of my boys done. I dont know how bad my oldest cried when it was done but my twin son did not cry when they done his. He was in the NICU when it was done and I was allowed to stay in with him. Hubby didn't want to so we walked out of the nursery and stood in the hall. He never cried one tear. My ex brother in law had to have a circumcision when he was 34 and he hurt for almost a month.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 1:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I don't know the sex for sure yet, but no snipping anything on any of our children. No ear piercing either. I believe my children should be able to decide on cosmetic surgeries and procedures themselves.

There is NO medical necessity to do it. We are used to it and so we think it is normal.

Check out what my pal Derek has to say about it, yes, a man. http://naturalpapa.com/circumcision/circumcision-will-you-make-the-cut/

His article is very informative and gives some good medical facts. Also, there is a video so you can see it in real life.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• my son has been and he didn't cry when he peed they numb them with shots (i know it's bad) ten remove the foreskin...i'm not bashing you all for not doing it so don't bash me for having it done
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I was at the nursery when they circumcised my youngest son and he didn't cry at all. He also didn't cry when he peed in his diaper. My other two boys weren't bothered when they peed either, but I wasn't there when they circ'd them.
    It's not necessary, I just never liked the way that an uncirc'd penis looks and recently several studies have said that there are health risks associated with not circumcising
    Anonymous

• Parents should not make that decision. If a man wants to have his genitals mutilated he can have it done as an adult. My adult sons aren't rushing off to have the surgery. They like theirs just they way they are, all natural.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I did not circumcise my son. I believe it to be an outdated ritual akin to circumcising female babies. But only you can decide what you want done. I feel that when my son is older, and if he wishes to be circumcised, then he can make that decision. Even after the doctor asked me my decision, many of the nurses applauded my decision, as they thought it was an outdated medical surgery as well.
    Anonymous

• None of my 3 (13, 11, 3yrs) circumsised and they have not had any problems. When they get older and the skin is able to retract you can teach them how to keep it clean.
    When I was in the hospital with #1 the pedi on call said that he did not think it was a necessary procedure, and none of his boys (all grown up) ever had it done and they never had any problems.
    Anonymous