When to start rice cereal?

My dd will be 3 mos on wednesday. She eats about 8 oz of breast milk/formula EVERY 2 hours and it seems she could eat even more than that! I can't keep up with her breast milk wise, they're empty LONG before shes done and we end up just giving her a bottle right after so we gave up feeding at the breast and I just pump it all out and store it for her.
Her doc said 4 mos is when to start it.. any thoughts?

bexjack

Asked by bexjack at 2:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started cereal at 3 months and fruits and veggies at 4 months. a lil cereal mixed with bm is fine...
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 2:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• We started solids at around 7 months. Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My two girls were 31/2-4 months. The thing is that they need to know how to move there tongue to swallow something alittle thicker the milk. Thats why doctors say to wait.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Try giving her formula it's more filling. If she takes around 24-32 oz formula in 24 hrs then I'd start her on the rice cereal.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 2:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• my DD was 3 months when I gave her rice cereal and she was feeding herself with a spoon by 4 months. My Doctor gave me the thumbs up because my DD was poisoned by my ILs with whole milk at 3 months and her digestive system was so screwed up that to give her more than pedialyte the dr said to give her a small amount of rice cereal. How I got my DD to chew that young I got right infront of her and kept going "numb numb numb" until she started imitating me. By her moving her tongue while saying numb she was able to swallow something thicker than the formula. Only problem she was 18 months before she grew out of the numb numb numb noise when she ate.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 2:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Formula is no more filling than breastmilk. It is just harder to digest. They both have the same amount of calories per ounce. If your baby seems extra hungry it is likely she is going through a growth spurt (2 months is a prime time) or about to start one. She is "priming" your breasts to produce more milk. The more she nurses the more milk you will make, regardless of if you feel empty. Rice allergies are definitely on the rise and has been attributed to early introduction of rice cereal. All food allergies are on the rise actually, and the thought is that it's because of too early introduction of solids. Babies GI tracts aren't developed well enough to digest the foods so their bodies form a resistance to it. Talk to your doctor, or nutritionist, lactaction consultant, etc before beginning cereal at such a young age.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Up the formula and breastmilk if she wants more. Mine always took at least 8oz every 2 hours. A friend of mine had a son who took 10oz per feeding.

rkoloms, why do you have to keep copying and pasting but not actually answer the question?
    Anonymous

• • “Answered at 1:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 by: Anonymous

Up the formula and breastmilk if she wants more. Mine always took at least 8oz every 2 hours. A friend of mine had a son who took 10oz per feeding.

rkoloms, why do you have to keep copying and pasting but not actually answer the question? “

Dear Ms. Anonynasty:

It is becoming apparent to me that you are cyber-stalking me. As this is a violation of CafeMom policy, if you do not stop, I will begin reporting your comments to the CafeMom admins. While you are anonymous to us, you are not to them.

Have a great week!

Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 2:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My children never had cereal, I thought it was icky, lol.
    But I do know that it's safer to wait until after 6 months. You might try to work to increase the breastmilk output.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Never. Babies never need baby cereal, jars of baby food, the puffs, or any other baby food.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for all babies until 6 months. At that time babies can start regular foods. Banana, sweet potato, and avocado are good first solids. Breastmilk should remain the main source of nutrition for the first year.

You are WAY overfeeding. Breastfed babies need an ave. of 25 ounces of breastmilk in 24 hours with a max. of 30 ounces. If you are giving 8 ounces every 2 hours that is way too much. Babies can't regulate their intake when feeding by bottle, you must regulate it for them.

Just because a baby wants to suck doesn't mean they are hungry. Babies have strong sucking needs and when breastfed spend large amounts of time suckling and not getting milk.

This info comes from www.kellymom.com
    The site also has info on starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2009