Food For My Soldier Boy

really a man.My son is an officer in Military Intelligence so no snailmail or much contact but we can send him boxes for about the next 6 weeks,What travels well?It could take up to 3 weeks . He isn't a twinkies guy perfers homemade.Currently making cheese straws,his sis at college is making oatmeal cookies.Loves choc and can send it this time of year.It will travel to the war zone so needs to be sturdy food.Suggestions & recipes are welcome.THANKS happy dance time

drfink

Asked by drfink at 2:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My husband is in the army and a mechanic. he was deployed to iraq for 15 months but hes back now. people have sent him cookies, chocolate, popcorn, home made rice crispies. You can make home made cake and put it in a jar. but my husband hates anything sweet so we didnt really send him anything. he rather eat cup o noodles. we also sent him instant coffee, sugar, peanuts, sun flower seeds, magazines, clothes.
    Anonymous

• Wet wipes, clorox wipes, dental floss, foot powder, chapstick, presweetened Koolaid packets so he can throw the in his water bottle, if he likes coffee...instant coffee, powdered gatorade, slim jims, Wheat thins and a can or two of Easy Cheese (favorite snack of my husband!)....the list goes on, but here is a link that has been very helpful to me!

http://www.operationmilitarypride.org/packages.html

Remember! No alcohol or pork products and (not that you would, your his mom. On second thought, my mom would....) NO PORNOGRAPHY. LOL!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 2:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• A can of chili and a little package of EZ Mac (i like the bowls) makes some pretty tasty "Chili Mac". Just make the mac and cheese according to package directions, stir in your cheese packet and then open your can of chili and add as much chili to the macaroni and cheese as you would like and then...stir. The hot mac and cheese heats up the chili to just about edible temperature and there you have it.

We're all working on the assumption that he'll have access to a microwave at least while he's "in garrison". My husband may or may not when he goes to Afghanistan, so, I'll have to wait for him to tell me. LOL!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 2:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• ALSO...if you make your son homemade baked goods, you can put the items inside air tight containers which have popcorn inside. For some reason, the popcorn seems to help keep the cookies and brownies from getting stale on the LONG trip to the middle east and he also gets a two for one deal! LOL! PLAIN POPCORN of course.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 2:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• anon 1; 20 not a huge sweet eater but he does like homemade.The cake in the jar won't spoil if it takes 3 weeks?Did you ever make sweetbread and send.I make strawberry bread he loves it but it has strawberries in it.What do you think? Sterling thanks for the site and all the info.I wouldn't and my husband,his dad ,better not but there are uncles that might haha would send porno.LOL THANKS oh my mom and sis say thanks too,I called them with yalls answers.Glad yalls husbands are home safe.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Pretzels dipped in chocolate
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Mmm...pretzels in chocolate. Yummy!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 8:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009