WAIT...tell me please, how do black people make Mac N Cheese?

I don't want to miss out.

I saw a journal post where someone was responding to a post that was unkind and she said, "And yes, I like macaroni and cheese the way black people make it!"

What? black people have a "way" to make mac n cheese? Okay, please excuse me for the stereotyping, LOL, I just have to know. WHAT?

My kids love mac N cheese and I just use my mother-in-law's recipe: elbow macaroni, velveta, margarince, ritz crackers, butter and milk. (She's white)

I'd love to learn more ways to make it.

How do YOU make mac N cheese?

And especially, if you are black...is there some "traditional black way" to make mac n cheese? Cause I want to try it.

Julie411me

Asked by Julie411me at 2:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My mom made it with elbow macaroni, cheddar cheese and milk. I think she also used butter, but I'm not sure. She never measured ingredients, but it always came out tasting the same!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• This is how Jews make it LOL!! Macaroni & Cheese

Preheat oven to 350Ëš

2 ½ Cups Pasta (something hearty but not too large)

2 Cups Milk

1 Cup Breadcrumbs

4 TBS Butter, melted

2 TBS Flour

3 Eggs, lightly beaten

½ tsp Salt

½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper

½ Cup Gruyere Cheese, shredded (you can sub cheddar or your favorite)

1 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain but do not rinse.

Combine the milk, flour, salt, pepper and eggs in a large bowl; whisk until smooth and well blended. Toss the two cheeses together. Put half of the pasta into the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish; top with most of the cheese and add the rest of the pasta. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and cheese. Drizzle with 2 TBS of melt

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Toss the remaining 2 TBS of melted butter with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.

Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, or until melted and bubbly.

• I make mine homemade using a roux that I melt cheese and milk into-- It's sooo good. Just how my grandma made.
    All you do is melt a stick of butter and mix in about 2/3 cup flour. Stir, stir, stirrrrrrr until it's a sort of honey-blonde color, and then you add milk. And cheese! I use extra sharp cheddar, mild cheddar, provolone, and mozzarella in any sort of combinations that sound the best. You can make it as cheesey as you want, just remember to keep adding milk to make it a super thick consistency. Add salt and pepper and when you're all melty and ready to go pour it all over your cooked noodles in a baking dish, stir really well, top with tons of shredded cheese, and bake it at 350 until the top is brown and bubbly!
    Try it-- I promise you'll love it. I had a friend who would make me bake it for her nearly once a week while she was pregnant ;)
    deliria

Answer by deliria at 3:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yeah I do it the white girl way too. Velveeta, milk, butter, noodles but I like to switch up the noodles sometimes.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 3:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• The roux sounds delicious.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• rklooms wow that is how Methodist Texans make it also.LOL
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• well i go it the good old fashion getto way..... strait out of the kraft box!!!! "it the chesseyiest" lol white girl married to a mexican
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 12:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think that it's a southern roots version that uses eggs when it's baked. I believe sometimes canned milk is used insted of fresh. check out Paula Deans recipe.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• my girlfriends momma's used canned milk and somtimes canned sweet milk. it doesn't dry out the macaroni like regular milk does, it stays in the cheese sauce rather than absorbing into the noodles over time. cream cheese works well too. buttered ritz crackers on top just before baking to brown. wish i could eat it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2009