Christians...what does "given the blessing" mean?

I have been listening to a station that talks about when parents give their children "the blessing". It's a christian station. It's not about marriage but something to do with God and I'm oblivious as to what they are talking about.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no clue..giving the blessing at our house means saying prayer before eating.
    Anonymous

• Certain Christian religions that do not believe in Original Sin (that is that you are human and the minute you are born are a sinner as opposed to the one who believe children are innocent) usually wait to have their children confirmed into the church at a later age. So instead of a baptisim they either Dedicate or Bless the child instead.

I didn't understand this and we had my son Baptisied and my Grandmother was scandaliized. I was Blessed as an infant.
    Anonymous

• Sorry that should say "the ones who believe that children are innocent" because it is more than one type of church that believes that. My grandmother's church does not Baptise until you are an adult.

Anonymous

• i would suggest a book called "The Blessing" by gary smalley. It's basically parents (or more specifically a father) speaking a blessing over his children. in the bible blessings were spoken over the children (an example Isaac's the blessing spoken over Jacob and Esau). It's not a specific denomination thing it's a biblical thing. When my son was 8 he had a blessing spoken over him... I'm a single mother so one of the elder's at my church spoke the blessing over him. This is also different than a baby dedication.
    Anonymous