About starting school...

My son turned three this past August. He's been going to daycare for a few years and he loves it.
Not to sound silly or ignorant, but I have no idea how to start him going to real schools, and how old he needs to be before he can begin going for half-days (ie. I need to save on daycare costs lol!). I didn't grow up with my younger siblings, so I've never been around to see another Mom start this process.

Is this information I can just get from his daycare? He's going to be starting daycare again Mid-Janurary of this year.

deliria

Asked by deliria at 3:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go to the website for your public schools and there you should be able to find out the ages and if they have preschool. Most do not, so you would have to wait until Kindergarten.

At his daycare facility they might offer a more structured preschool. Some churches also offer preschool programs.

Your daycare is a good place to start asking for suggestions. Also, check out the yellow pages.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 3:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Here in NC they can't start public school kindergarten unless they turn 5 before August 30 of that year. But you have to register them at their base school starting in like the February before the year they are going to start. Google information on the public schools in your area and find out what their rules are.

Answer by missanc at 3:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I started my daughter in preschool the fall of the year she turned 4. She was registered for public school the following January, (the year she turned 5). I think the cut off here is if they are 5 before Oct. 15 for kindergarten.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Oh wow. I started early for the school system I attended, but Kindergarten began at 4 back home. Lesigh. Let's hope I can get him in early :)
    deliria

Answer by deliria at 10:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i'm in texas and my son has to be 5 by sept 1st in order to start that year. since he is an october baby, he will have to wait until the following year. he currently goes to preschool that's at a local church. he goes 3 days a week and loves it.

i would check with your school district and see if they can refer you to a preschool. they can also tell you when he would be able to start kindergarden. good luck!
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 9:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2009