How do you help eczema in a 1 month old?

My son is 6.5 weeks and I have started noticing a lot of eczema on his face chest and back. Does anyone have any tricks to get this stuff to go away?

mhoeller

Asked by mhoeller at 3:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you breast or formula feeding?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Formula
    mhoeller

Answer by mhoeller at 3:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Sometimes dairy can trigger eczema... so if he's on dairy formula that *might* be a cause. But Soy holds it's own risks, so I would look into that and talk thoroughly with your doctor before switching, though.

Eliminating dairy from your own diet and relactating is also an option... if you're interested.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If you've determined that it's not the type of formula he's on that's causing it, try Cetaphil lotions. My son didn't have eczema but his face was starting to get chapped and dry mostly after baths. So my pedi recommended Cetaphil and it works great! His cheeks are so smooth and soft again. It's made especially for sensitive skin.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• give him a nice warm oatmeal bath. then get some good thick oatmeal lotion, and also some hyrdrocortisone ointment from the store and apply to his itchies. my babe has it too, really bad on his ankles. always scratching at it- wakes up scratching sometimes. i read it usually goes away by 3 though.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 3:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• put coconut oil on the patches; keep bath short and infrequent.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• here is a group on cafemom that has taught me a lot! http://www.cafemom.com/group/babieswithallergies
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Dermotologist recomended CeraVe cream(thick lotion) for my daughter, they also make a cleanser. Go to Walgreens or KMart and ask the pharmacy if they have it, they can order it for you. Stay away from scents. Dress baby in cotton(no polyester or wool). Dust mites and mold are bad for eczema so google info on that. My baby co-sleeps so I put a allergen cover on my box spring, mattress, pillows. I wash sheets and vaccum the bedroom once a week at least. Go to a health food store and pick up some probiotics for your baby. Look into switching your formula or relactating. Look up more info on eczema at mercola.com
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• virgin organic coconut oil is great for the skin! buy it in the health food section of the grocery store.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• First, check to see if baby is allergic or intolerant to milk. A LOT of babies with eczema have issues with cow's milk. If you're formula feeding, swich to a soy or hypoallergenic formula. You'll see result in just a few days. The eczema will go away. If you're breastfeeding, keep all dairy out of your diet and you should see the eczema go away in a few days.

If this doesn't help, then begin using Aquaphor lotion. The petroleum based ones work the best because they keep moisture in the skin. Keeping the skin moist is the key. After bathtime, slather on tons of the stuff.

My son is allergic to milk and had horrible eczema until we figured it out! Now, all we have to do is put Aquaphor on after his bath, and he's fine!
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 5:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2009