How can I make my 17 month old stop hitting..

My 17 month old started hitting about 3 months ago. He hits me and anyone who makes him angry or scolds him for doing something he shouldn't. Sometimes he thinks its funny when you tell him to stop.

vs10483

Asked by vs10483 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make a sad face. Get very quiet. And, in a soft, sad voice, tell him hitting is wrong and it makes you sad. And tell him that you don't want him to hit any more.

I feel that kids at that age understand a LOT more words than what we give them credit for. And I think they generally want their parents to be happy.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 3:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You need to have consiquences for that behavior. saying "Stop" does nothing. Chose a consiquence then stick with it. At 15 mo though time outs just don't seem to have much of an inpact. Personally I'd swat him a good on on the butt then set him in the corner till he stoped crying. It would send the messege quickly that A... hitting doesn't feel very good, and b... evertime I hit I gets spanked... kids are smart at that age, it should only take a few days to get the message accrossed. Another thing is if this happens when he is mad... you need to difuse the situation before he gets mad and teach him to deal with his frustrations apropreatly. Before he lashes out is the best time to teach control... not after he has lost it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• honestly this may sounds bad but when my daughter would bite me i would bite her back and when my daughter used to hit me i would take her hand and hit her back and she learned very fast that it hurts and it's not nice!
    mommyziegler

Answer by mommyziegler at 6:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would be very matter of fact without showing emotions.
    The one thing that worked WONDERS for my son at that age (I had tried time outs, hitting his hand, and even the sad face thing) was to grab his hand, squeeze gently (not so it hurt just enough that it was uncomfortable) and tell him "No Hitting."
    I did this very consistently and within a couple days the hitting was gone and still is.
    Every now and then he will hit without trying to be rude, (he thinks it is a game) and I just remind him "nice touches please" and he stops.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009