yellow mucus poop on and off

My dd is 6 weeks old and we feed her enfamil premium formula. Lately on and off I have seen mucus in her poop but it has stayed yellow and when I don't see mucus the consistency seems normal. She is eating well and actually has had a good appetite but I also notice that sometimes to me she seems like she has a stuffy nose which everyday I clear with a nasal aspirator. I have taken her temp and she does not have a fever but I am still very worried. Could she be allergic to her formula all of the sudden? Or if she had an allergy to it would I have seen it from the start? She has been fussier than normal lately bc I think her tummy is bothering her and she has been passing some gas. She isn't colicky but I wonder also could it be starting now? (She was 9 days early) any advice would be great thanks!

adnasiou

Asked by adnasiou at 3:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• People can become allergic to anything at any time once they have been exposed to it. It could be an allergy but it doesn't sound like it. Allergy usually has a rash.

Human milk has immune globulin A (IgA) that is a protein that protects the baby from things that invade the body. It also has living white blood cells and things like lysozymes that protect the baby. Formula has none of that to protect the baby's nose, sinuses, and digestive track.

Your baby is having problems with the places IgA protects. I know, I have a genetic immunedeficiency disease and among other things I have no IgA. Her nose and sinuses may hurt inside and that could make her fussy. She may be able to catch bacterial and viral infections easily. She would be at risk for diseases like RSV and the flu that can be caught by touch and are airborne.

Babies don't make their own IgA and some have more problems than others if not breastfed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2009