Hugs

My son is 6 and in the first grade. We have always been a "hug" family...whether it's a relative or a good friend, we give hugs when we say hello and goodbye....
Well, I notice my son doing this when he meets friends outside of school. For him, it's innocent joy seeing someone he knows, but the look on some of the other kid's faces makes me wonder.....most are like "WTH??"....
So now what do I do? I hate to tell him it's not ok to hug his friends but I also don't want them to feel awkward or worse, make fun of him for it. It's kinda sad that some people today feel this is not ok, you know??
Thoughts.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Most kids will let him know if they don't like it.   Suggest he high-five them

momjs

Answer by momjs at 4:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• tell him to only hug his family, and shake hands with other people. u dont want him hugging anyone...:P
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• thx momjs...a high five is a good idea
    Anonymous

• Hugs for family.

They're probably looking at him strange because it's not something that is normally done.
    Anonymous

• explain that some people just don't hug like you all do and they could not like it or it could make them feel uncomfortable......he should understand that people do different things and it's ok sometimes and not others.
    and if it really bothers that kid then the kid isn't ganna hug him and will not let him hug them. so eventually he'll know which are ok and which aren't but there was a boy that got kicked outta school here cause he hugged a girl the "wrong" way---some parents are just looking for drama---but hte poor kid got kicked out for a few days for being "hugging his friend" but the girls parents didn't agree sooooo just something else for you to keep in mind.
    me-n-mygirls

Answer by me-n-mygirls at 6:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My son gives a kiss , hug and a high five... LOL... I would try the high five for kids at school. I need to start teaching him this now before he starts school. Good Luck!
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• high fives are great..you could also just tell him hes not supposed to do that at school, i know in my daughters school they have a "keep your hands to yourself" rule, so you could say that as well...but, in most cases if the other kid doesnt wanna be hugged they will let you son know..i personally think thats adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spread the love!!!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I agree with me-n-mygirls about explaining. I went through the same thing with my son and it was hard for him when he actually got in trouble at school for hugging other kids.
    Monica1119

Answer by Monica1119 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009